Winter feeding...

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Winter feeding...

Post by Asus101 »

Well winter is coming and I was wonder what people will continue to feed, what with, how often and what amounts of N-P-K.

I shall be giving High P-K to my wisteria until leaves have fallen completely.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Brad Loma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Winter feeding...

Post by Brad Loma »

I will fertilize this weekend and will get one more in after that (probably) before i cease untill spring.
B.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

up here things are still growing. Infact i get a much better growth spurt from april till june than between december and april due to excessive heat ( figs and bougs being the exception) i fertilise weekly or bi weekly depending on species. Feed with a weak liquid solution seaweed and nitrosol. osmocote every 4 months. I will turn to a high phospous fert ( like tomato food) end of june than cease till september.
Brad Loma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brad Loma »

noah78 wrote:up here things are still growing. Infact i get a much better growth spurt from april till june than between december and april due to excessive heat ( figs and bougs being the exception) i fertilise weekly or bi weekly depending on species. Feed with a weak liquid solution seaweed and nitrosol. osmocote every 4 months. I will turn to a high phospous fert ( like tomato food) end of june than cease till september.

I am (maybe) travelling up to Mackay next week, i should drop you in some of my figs to babysit for 12 months, they must grow crazy up there! Allthough, they must (i am guessing) shut down for quite a period during summer up there????
B.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Brad,

they do have abit of a shutdown period in summer. I have noticed feburary and march which is a great time to repot them up here. My climate does allow for pretty good growth with figs up here however it just about kills me (the humidity at least) we average 4 months of temp 35+ with humidity hovering around 80%. just like being in a little hot house :( . Not to keen on it as im a southerner myself. However this time of year (march till october is wonderful :D ). Send me a PM if you come through
Brad Loma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brad Loma »

noah78 wrote:we average 4 months of temp 35+ with humidity hovering around 80%. just like being in a little hot house :( . Not to keen on it as im a southerner myself. However this time of year (march till october is wonderful :D ). Send me a PM if you come through

Will do mate. Thats damn hot! In Brissie we get a few days here and there like that but not for long periods. I wasnt aware that it got that high humidity up there, i have never spent any time in Rockhampton, passed through that way many times but never stayed. The guy who normally goes up that way for the company i work for, is on holidays for a month, so i am filling in for him. I will let you know if it happens by PM. (whats the temps up there now?)
B.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Will do mate. Thats damn hot! In Brissie we get a few days here and there like that but not for long periods. I wasnt aware that it got that high humidity up there, i have never spent any time in Rockhampton, passed through that way many times but never stayed. The guy who normally goes up that way for the company i work for, is on holidays for a month, so i am filling in for him. I will let you know if it happens by PM. (whats the temps up there now?)
B.[/quote]

bloody beautiful. 28 degress days with humidity hovering 40%. nights between 13-18. Will start to drop end of May
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Brad,

tried sending you a pm but didnt work for some reason? ill be outa town till thursday so i may miss you if you still coming through....After thursday your more than welcome or next time you may travel through :)

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”