Mycorhiza, another story

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Mycorhiza, another story

Post by Bretts »

By Grant
(and no mycorhiza but thats another story).
Thats a story I would like to hear Grant. A recent article by Colin Lewis gave me some understanding about mycorrhiza and it's benifits but it also left me with new questions.
Colin Lewis.
For example, a tree planted in fertile, moist yet well-drained soil with a good supply of readily available nutrients will already be growing at its maximum rate with maximum health, and so has little need of mycorrhiza. Indeed, as we will see later, mycorrhizal fungi would probably not survive for long in such conditions anyway. On the other hand, trees planted in marginal conditions would probably not survive without a mycorrhiza and it is in these conditions that mycorrhyzae will thrive.
Full Article here
http://www.shadysidebonsai.com/bonsaiva ... e/id2.html

It seems obvious for me to ask the questions does a high amount of mycorhiza in the soil indicate that the soil conditions could be better. Does a low amount or even a total lack of mycorhiza in your bonsai soil possibly indicate that the medium is doing a great job. My larger Hornbeam is in a soil that seems to be a very good mix but I have noticed a lack of mycorhiza. It seems you may have some insight into this Grant?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Mycorhiza, another story

Post by Grant Bowie »

I noticed years ago that many bonsai with lots of Mycorrhiza were unhealthy and underfertilised and yes the Mycorrhiza saved them from dying.

If the trees were well ferlilised and regularly repotted there was no problem and no Mycorrhiza dripping out of the pots.

I never introduced Mycorrhiza into my nursery stock as it seemed to get there all by itself. One well known teacher was saying that it had to be the specific Mycorrhiza from Japan but that was obviously absurd.

Anyhow with regular fertilising (Osmocote in mix and Maxicrop/Charlie Carp/Nitrosol as a liquid) my trees continue to be healthy.

The Colin Lewis article is very good and worthwhile reading, then make your mind up for your conditions and potting mix.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

I think its a good idea to add it to newly collected pines to help them re-establish after collection.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks for the answer Grant. There is plenty to keep the mind active with these subjects.
It is interesting to think of older articles from the internet about the benefits of akadama because the medium was chokers with mycorrhiza. This information makes me wonder about the claim that the presence of so much mycorrhiza in the akadama medium indicated that the soil conditions where working so well. In any event this could have been as simple as under fertilising an inorganic medium?
Yet should we be saying, look how good my soil conditions are it didn't even attract any mycorrhiza. :?
Last edited by Bretts on May 13th, 2009, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

In any event Asus I would think that to include some in case the tree wants it would be the safest option. I recently read that mycorrhiza survives better from using chopped roots rather than soil or whatever other medium the use to sell this stuff. This was from an inoculant retailer. Maybe talking up their product but It does make sense.
I was at a farm centre recently and found that a Mycorrhiza inoculant for canola was available for $10. What odds would anyone give that this will be of any use to trees?
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

In Europe it seems to be common practice to add needle litter from around the tree to the soil as well as sieved portions of the tree's soil.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Asus101 wrote:I think its a good idea to add it to newly collected pines to help them re-establish after collection.
I agree that you do everything to help the newly dug up trees. Rotted needle litter may be of benefit but I doubt straight from the tree still green would do anything.

Similarly though we dug about 300 black pine out of my old nursery field a number of years ago and all survived with no additional Mycorrhiza. Some were even blown out of the pots by a rare extreme wind storm and we just put them back and they survived.

Re Akadama and Mycorrhiza; it may be more important to add to Akadama than with our normal potting mix. I haven't used it yet but have some to trial.

And yes excessive obvious Mycorrhiza in Australia could indicate a general sub par health of tree in pot.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

never known of them to add green needles...
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

It is everywhere! That being said, i have NEVER noticed any visible portions in ANY of my pots, despite the quality (or lack thereof) the soil being used. Whether it be the cheapest muddy bagged soil i got my hands on or my total inorganic mix.

I have spotted proteoid roots which i thought was mycorrhizal activity at first.

JayC

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”