Automatic watering timers.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Re: Automatic watering timers.

Post by Jow »

dennismc wrote:Hi Jow

I have been using the full automated type for many years. In fact i am on about my third controller. They can be reliable just don't use the cheapies that are sold in hardware stores they often fail fairly quickly. You need a full irrigation system. These are obtained from stores specializing in irrigation setups. You may have to find them in your local area.

I have found my local one extremely helpful. They will usually help you to decide what system works for you and give advice on how to lay the system out.

Surprisingly such a system is not that expensive and generally you can install it yourself.

Dennis Mc

Thanks Dennis, that sounds like a sensible way to go.
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Post by Tony Bebb »

G'day Jow

As you have heard there are many to choose from. I used a Toro at my old house, and have heard good things about the Rainbird. A local irrigation supplier is the best for good info and a full range of whatever you need.

You do not need a powerpoint near the Bonsai for hard wired versions, you just need to run the water supply from near there to the Bonsai. The timer can be at the powerpoint and the wires need to run to tap to power the solenoid. Good luck with the setup mate.

Tony
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Jow, Mine are much older than those but I'd say the second one is probably the current equivalent of the 6 station unit I am currently using.
I have not seen the single tap timer units before but if you only need one circuit that would probably be ok. Trouble is, as soon as you have installed it you find you need a second area watered. Talking to an irrigation shop/ expert should get more accurate and up to date info on different units and what they can and cannot do.

If you use a mains power controller you put the controller near a power point and run light wires out to the solenoids anywhere in the garden. The normal solenoid valves for mains units operate on 24v ac so they only need light wire and it is safe to use.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

Thanks for that Neil.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

Hi all,

I finally got a system ordered.

I ended up going with Bigee pumps and Irrigation who were really helpful over the phone and picked up a bunch of things i hadnt thought of and gave solid advice. Really great service and they shipped my order 30 minutes after i placed it.

http://www.bidgeepumps.com.au

I ended up with a "Hunter X Core 4 Station Outdoor Controller" which has a rechargable lythium battery backup which is guarenteed for 25years. that should hopefully give me a bit of piece of mind when i am away for a couple of days.

Setup sounds fairly simple so i will let you all know how the system goes once i get it assembled.

Joe.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Jow wrote:Hi all,

I ended up going with Bigee pumps and Irrigation who were really helpful over the phone and picked up a bunch of things i hadnt thought of and gave solid advice. Really great service and they shipped my order 30 minutes after i placed it.

I ended up with a "Hunter X Core 4 Station Outdoor Controller" which has a rechargable lythium battery backup which is guarenteed for 25years. that should hopefully give me a bit of piece of mind when i am away for a couple of days.

Setup sounds fairly simple so i will let you all know how the system goes once i get it assembled.

Joe.
Joe,

If you are really having sleepless nights, get a moisture sensor and connect it to a GSM transmitter. It will SMS you when your sprinklers are on. That way you'll know to call the fire brigade if it fails! :whistle:

Cheers,

Andrew
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Moisture sensors are not that good. You would need one for every pot. I have had big problems while using them in recent past, I end up cutting the wire and disconnecting them.
I hope you stayed away from drippers and shrubblers.
Last edited by Damian Bee on September 20th, 2012, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

No, i didn't get drippers. I'm thinking micro sprays. I bought all the other bits online but I thought I'd get the sprays from a hardware store so I could get a feel for them in person.

The moisture sensors sound interesting although maybe a bit complex for the simplicity I am after with this system.

Joe.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I use the Brass micro Spayers rather than the plastic ones if you are going to put them on a single pot.
They give a nice soft gentle sread that can cover the surface of each pot wit only 2 or 3 of them

I use the plastic sprayers to Water the large benches and just flood them with mist for 5 minutes.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

Thanks ken. I was planning to use the flood the bench approach so I guess the plastic ones are worth a look. Are there any types or styles to avoid?
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Jow wrote:Thanks ken. I was planning to use the flood the bench approach so I guess the plastic ones are worth a look. Are there any types or styles to avoid?
there are the ones with little coloured plastic cap that are no good. they just give a distributed stream rather than a spray.
the solid coloured Moulded sprayers work good and are available in 1/4, 1/2 or full circle. I use all 3

Suppoose that they are so cheap you can get a viriety and try them all. Each application probably will best utilise different ones.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Jow wrote:Hi all,

Joe.
Hi Joe,

Just wondering how your system is going (esp over last summer)? was it worth the time, money, and effort of installing?

Cheers,
Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

Definitely worth the effort. I had it water at 2pm each day so during hot weather I could water in the morning and then it gave them a second drink in the heat of the day. Growth seemed much better compared to a morning/late arvo watering pattern that I was doing by hand before and after work.

I could and do happily leave it in charge of watering when I am away for weekends short trips etc. It makes me a lot more free to head away for weekends etc. which is great.

Would happily spend the time and money again on the system should I have to.

I wouldn't let it totally replace hand watering but it is definitely a great supplement in hot weather or during trips etc.

Joe
Last edited by Jow on October 30th, 2013, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
maple
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 22

Post by maple »

Jow wrote: I wouldn't let it totally replace hand watering but it is definitely a great supplement in hot weather or during trips etc.

Joe
Hi Joe,
what sprayers did you end up using?
I have the timer but have never set it up for my Bonsai. I agree it would never replace hand watering. Good for a couple of days but not sure if you have the same issue as me but I have trees side by side that one could be bone dry and the other not needing a watering.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

Yeah the beauty of just having it do an arvo cycle is that you can skip trees in the mornin hand water that don't need as much water as others. That way water hungry plants get two waterings and not so water needy get the single dose.

I ended up using some blue sprayers that spray water in a linear band up and down the benches. I simply put a heap of these along the mainline I have suspended above the bench. My setup simply drenches everything. Everything gets totally soaked. If I had more room it would be good to setup different sectors on different benches so you could give some things two soakings a day and others once a day or once every two days etc. but you make do with what you have.

Make sure you have a good controller as I had a bunch of cheapie a fail before I bit the bullet and got something decent.

It is definitely nice to be able to go to the beach or a night or two over summer.

Joe.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”