sick swampie

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Aaron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 3

sick swampie

Post by Aaron »

hey guys, I was wondering if swamp cypress is tolerant to frost or not. I purchased this stock while on a trip to sydney about 2 months ago and all has been fine, until about a week ago i noticed what looks like it dying back at the top. Ever since ANZAC day, we here in canberra have been getting frosts regularly. Not sure, any thoughts???.....................

Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: sick swampie

Post by Asus101 »

they are deciduous.....
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Aaron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Aaron »

I thought they might have been but wasnt sure. And this is my first one so I wasnt sure what to expect, cos to me it looks like its dying. But if you say all is well then thats a relief. Thanks heaps!!!!
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Aaron.
I have noticed that swamp cypress (Taxodium distichum) has about the shortest growth period of them all. It is one of the last to grow any foliage and the very first to lose it. Mine has no protection at all and has been subjected to -5c temperatures repeatedly so I wouldn't worry about a touch of frost. The needles assume an orange/brown colour before falling off along with some of the newest twiggy growth.
Regards from Don.
Last edited by stymie on May 21st, 2009, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Hi Aaron,

It appears, from the photo, that the tree has been affected somewhat by (possibly) a frost. Because you have brought the tree down to Canberra from Sydney around March, it would not have been prepared for the freezing nights that we can get (particularly around Anzac Day, as I remember, it was a definate change in temperature here). The remainder of the foliage appears to be quite green and doesnt show too many signs of changing just yet, this makes me think it got a bit of "frost bite" when it wasnt expecting it.

All this said, there is nothing to worry about. If at all, you may experience a tiny bit of die back at the tips of where it appears to have browned off. This area may include some fresh growth that the tree might have put on late in the season in Sydney.

The other thing to keep in mind when the Swampy loses its leaves is that any very juvenile foliage that has grown through the warmer months, but has not grown so much that it has hardened off into a thick enough branch, will most likely fall off come winter. Dont fear this either, as come next season - it will shoot again (and again! from all over the place!!).

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
Aaron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Aaron »

Thanks guys, your advice as been most welcome!!! So glad to hear that all is well.

Cheers

Aaron
Shane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: BonsaiNorthwest, BSV, Vic Natives

Post by Shane »

I'll ditto the advice given above. My swamp cypress is one of the few trees that I have that happily browned up during our extremely hot weather, but then shooted profusely afterwards given lot of water. It's done that every year since I got it. I have it sitting in a bed of pebbles full of water to simulate a swamp and last night learned a technique to throw a doughnut shaped pot, that eventually I hope to use to make a self-watering pot for it.
Bonsai was meant to keep me away from the computer.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”