Help and Advice Needed

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
azx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Help and Advice Needed

Post by azx »

Hi everyone,
I have just started my bonsai life (lets say just over a month ago). I had bought the following nursery stock and tried to make something out of them and would really appreciate and advice or feedback of what to do espeically with the one that seems to be dying :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: 0

Re: Help and Advice Needed

Post by Elias »

Hi there,
I can offer some simple advice, firstly heavy root prune should be done when the tree or shrub is in active growth usually spring is safer, I don't know too much about the plants that you're have pictured other than the juniper.
I would place the Juniper in a larger pot in spring no root trim, maybe about a 6-8" plastic pot, so it can develop, also nothing wrong with wiring it as long as it is removed before it cuts into the tree, I would also encourage to do as much wiring as you can even it is just to practice.

On the struggling plants I would apply something like "Plant Starter" it might help them.
Last edited by Elias on May 23rd, 2009, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

The Juni needs so movement in the trunk rather than a straight stick

Bend it so that you have a branc coming from the outside of each bend, then wire them out and down 'till you get above the first level of branches. For a small tree , just build the top above, or start nother layer of brances then the top

You should end up with a tree with flattish branch pads on several layers, then the apex at the top

As for the others,, let them recover and decide later
Check out photos on the web or books of similar variety trees, and see whet others have done that looks good and try to emulate them.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
azx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by azx »

Thank you very much eliast and kcpoole :)

Your advice is very much appreciated. I'll definitely not be as ruthless in cutting roots next time. I did move the juniper a bit more now to have more movement, its just I don't like the cascade and semi-cascade styles thats why I didn't want to get there.

By the way eliast what is a "Plant Starter"? Is it some sort of fertilizer? I feed all of my stock with "Phostrogen Plant Food", not sure how good it is as the person at the nursery said it'll do the job for bonsai stock.
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Elias »

Plant Starter is a product available from Multicrop, I've used it several times on struggling trees, cuttings and it has worked well for me, hope this helps :)
On their website this is what it states:
Multicrop® Plant Starter

Plant Starter is a plant growth stimulant designed to speed plant growth and establishment. The active ingredients are Indole Butyric Acid (IBA) and Naphthalene Acetic Acid (NAA) in liquid form.
Promotes quick establishment of seedlings.
Reduces transplant shock when repotting or transplanting.
Encourages root formation on plant cuttings.
Increases the life of cut flowers.
Available in 500ml and 1L sizes.
azx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by azx »

Thanks again Eliast, am going to look for it over the weekend otherwise I guess I'll have to Multicrop directly :D

Cheers

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”