correct wire and where to buy it?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
jme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: nil

correct wire and where to buy it?

Post by jme »

The only place I can find bonsai wire is bunnings or eBay. Is there a cheaper place
Also, what thickness wire do I use (1/3 branch thickness etc?) And why is it important to use bonsai wire and not just normal wire from bunnings?
Thanks, J
Last edited by jme on January 2nd, 2013, 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a bonsai virgin so please be gentle.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Re: correct wire and where to buy it?

Post by Jason »

I'd have a read of this page mate (the Ausbonsai Wiki): https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... onsai_wire

Here is a snip from the page linked:
If you walk into a hardware store electrical center, they will have several spools of bright shiny copper wire, and you might be tempted to purchase and use it for your bonsai. You would find that it is very difficult to bend, because it hasn't been yet been annealed.

Aluminium wire, on the other hand, is not annealed. It is significantly softer than copper wire, and has less holding power, but it can be repositioned somewhat, so many beginners prefer to use it until they have developed some expertise at applying wire. Aluminium is also the preferred wire choice of many professionals for some thin-barked trees like azalea, where the raw holding power of copper isn't as important as the flexibility of aluminium.

Because aluminium is naturally a silver color, it is often treated by an electrochemical process called anodization to give it a brownish color similar to copper wire. It's easy to tell the difference because the core will still be silver, and the color, a metallic brown, is unobtrusive, but not really that similar to the appearance of annealed copper wire, which is a dark, dull red when applied and becomes darker with time.

You can buy and anneal your own copper wire, or purchase aluminium or copper wire that has been pre-annealed for bonsai work.

It answered most of my questions on wiring :)

I bought my first lot from Ebay, and I just got a variety of sizes from 1mm to 6mm so that I can find out which works best with what :)
Last edited by Jason on January 2nd, 2013, 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Any Bonsai Nursery will have it in Stock, or if none near you the local club members will be able to help.
Next will be Ebay,

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
John Henry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BSV Nth West Vic Native Bendigo

Post by John Henry »

HI JME the best place to get wire is from The Gardeners Friend (David Rojo)his web site is under The gardeners Friend he only stokes the best Japanese wire not the cheap crape.
John m :aussie: :aussie:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

' normal' wire will usually be steel tie wire. The only reasons I can see for not using it is that it will rust and won't look very nice. It might stain the bark of the tree too.

The debate about whether copper or aluminium wire is better still rages but either will work and the choice is more personal taste and what you are used to.
Some growers use recycled wire salvaged from electricians, wreckers, etc. You need to remove the plastic insulation and unwind the individual strands. Recycled copper wire is usually very stiff and is best annealed before using on bonsai. Heat the wire to red then let it cool and it will be pliable and easy to use. All wires work harden when they are bent and should not be used after bending unless annealed to soften again.

Thickness depends on the bendability of the branch. Some wood is easy to bend, some much stiffer. with experience you can gauge by flexing the branch and flexing some different wires - the wire that is slightly stiffer than the branch will hold it in place.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: A realy good one :D

Post by Olivecrazy »

I get all my wire from a ebay store its great an much cheaper then i can get it here :tu: have got a few rolls now an haven't had any issues :yes:
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

I recently bought some from http://www.bonsaishop.com.au/shop/ , was quite happy with the wire though it took a while to get here
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Regards Antonio:
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jason »

Heya,

I didn't want to create a new thread, so figure I'll ask my question here as it seems to be along the right lines.

I was wondering what the average price of Aluminium wire is?

I think I might have paid a bit much when I bought 500gm for $12.95 (with postage on top), but then... I wasn't sure as I've really got no idea what a 'good price' for wire is! :lol: Is that a good price?

If I got ripped off... then so be it... i'd just rather know so I don't make the mistake again :P

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pinus
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: bonsai society of vic

Post by bonsaisensation »

Jason wrote:Heya,

I think I might have paid a bit much when I bought 500gm for $12.95 (with postage on top), but then... I wasn't sure as I've really got no idea what a 'good price' for wire is! :lol: Is that a good price?

If I got ripped off... then so be it... i'd just rather know so I don't make the mistake again :P
hi Jason
what you paid for is very good price. 500gm of anodized aluminium wire at most bonsai nursery would be about $20. and i believe the seller is a wholesale importer. :tu: :tu:
check out our new website:
http://bonsaisensation.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jason »

bonsaisensation wrote:
Jason wrote:Heya,

hi Jason
what you paid for is very good price. 500gm of anodized aluminium wire at most bonsai nursery would be about $20. and i believe the seller is a wholesale importer. :tu: :tu:
Thankyou kindly mate! A lot of things online seem to be overpriced, which I usually find out after I've purchased it :P haha

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”