Ficus Naked

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Ficus Naked

Post by PeterW »

Jon Chown wrote:
Next time you are down in the Big smoke we should catch up for a coffee and chat - give me a call as I work from home and can always find time for a Bonsai Buddy.

Jon
Sounds good Jon, i will take you up on that.
Peter
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

Message Deleted
Last edited by Hector Johnson on March 2nd, 2009, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

Hector Johnson wrote:In my view it's more about being part of a very small club of people with a debilitatiing, cashflow-destroying, time-stealing, highly addictive disease. It's much worse than golf, motor racing or gambling. Fortunately, the addicts also serve as a self-help support group, to keep each other moderately sane and at least provide you with someone you can talk bonsai jargon to, without being carted off by the men in white coats.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hector Johnson wrote:I think we need to check our handbags and attitudes at the front door when we come in here. No-one wants this place to turn into the endless, pointless catfights that other forums become, do we?
well put hec. :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Chris Johnston
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Greater Kansas City

Post by Chris Johnston »

Pup,
Nice stuff and good information! Please everyone forgive my difficulty with the Southern Hemisphere/Northern Hemisphere seasonal differences!

Pup, how long is your summer, and about how far apart (in weeks) do you defoliate, or do you do so based on size and development of new growth?

In Kansas, we have very long, hot summers, but also quite severe winters, so I have exactly one (1) ficus...which I am preparing to cut back and start styling this summer. You can see this tree here.

Ficus Microcarpa

Do you have a greenhouse, or is your climate more tropical in nature?

I have always enjoyed your trees, BTW.

Chris
I am the 545th best crossword puzzle solver in the world!

Sashi-eda Bonsai Blog

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”