best place to store my trees in winter

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

best place to store my trees in winter

Post by Keels »

Hi guys,

Ive been living in canberra for two years now and my bonsai trees get hammered during winter. Im looking at buying a large greenhouse from bunnings just to provide the protection from the frost, wind etc

What im thinking of is maybe building something? Anyone have any ideas or advise on what they do?

Thanks
deejay335
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: varied
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group

Re: best place to store my trees in winter

Post by deejay335 »

For what it's worth - my bonsais all live on my back deck under cover so never get frost on them. A bit of juggling around when it rains and I have to make super sure I water even during winter, but they seem to like it and have survived there for over 12 years.
Shannon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Clerodendrum
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Sunshine Coast, BCI

Post by Shannon »

Im in the same boat Keel, I want to bring some if my big figs down from Queensland and need to sort out a heated frost free area that won't break the bank or ruin my marriage (ha).
I purchased a cheaper plastic hot house from eBay 4m x2m and it lasted a total of two weeks before the cover was shredded by the Canberra winds.

Looking into building my own at the moment. If you go to the Canberra Society meeting on the weekend I should be there, say g'day and we'll have a chat.

Regards
Shannon
Last edited by Shannon on July 31st, 2014, 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Except for the semi tropical trees I would not be looking for winter protection.

The good thing about Canberra is the weather; four seasons and all that.

The harsh winter ensures very few pests survive over winter and it makes it easier for applications of Lime Sulphur etc.

Growing trees in a glass house is not easy. You need to ensure good air movement to avoid mildews, pest build up and be careful of disease going rampant.

Grant
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Im with Grant. Only my figs spend the winter months in the Hothouse . All other species including premma japonica (aka stinky maple ) that i believe is semi tropical spend all winter with temps 0-5 not uncommon. Like grant said the frost is the best thing for killing bugs and having trees out in the open with air movement helps prevent fungal problems/disease .With the rain this winter here i havent watered anything out in the open since May
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

I do have trees that are not really suited to the weather in canberra then again im a little in experienced in identifying whats actually happening with my trees. I think I actually might look at giving away my figs as ive struggled to keep them going in this weather.

Possibly looking at building something in the corner of my yard this weekend but ill post plans before I attempt

Thanks guys
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Maybe even pop up to the National Collection at the Arboretum, they've got a very nice setup - it costed $$ but at least you could see what principles are at play, and hopefully chat to Shannon, Leigh or others to explain why it works, might help before you launch into your build.
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Keels wrote:I do have trees that are not really suited to the weather in canberra then again im a little in experienced in identifying whats actually happening with my trees. I think I actually might look at giving away my figs as ive struggled to keep them going in this weather.

Possibly looking at building something in the corner of my yard this weekend but ill post plans before I attempt

Thanks guys
I grow my figs inside the house in an unheated room for 6 months of the year. Put them outside in October and defoliate to force them to put out new growth.

The growing season for Figs in the ACT is as little as 6 to 8 weeks(January and Feb).

Grant
Sasha P
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Canberra bonsai society

Post by Sasha P »

I had an empty space behind the garage, so I put up a timber pergola type thing, some shade cloth and then underneath for the tropical type sticks in pots I bought some little plastic green house things, have weight them down with bricks and blocks and so far they have not moved with any windy days we have had in Canberra so far. Not the best looking set up but it is hidden by the garage from the back of the house and gets the afternoon sun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

My cheap-and-nasty solution has been to keep the figs and a lillipilly on the patio (= heat sink) and cover them with a sheet of builder's foil, weighted down, each night. Bit of a pain, but it's easy and it works. A couple of top leaves burnt in the -8C last year, that's all.

Grant has previously said that his figs power on through winter, which mine certainly don't.

Gavin
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

sushi900 wrote:I had an empty space behind the garage, so I put up a timber pergola type thing, some shade cloth and then underneath for the tropical type sticks in pots I bought some little plastic green house things, have weight them down with bricks and blocks and so far they have not moved with any windy days we have had in Canberra so far. Not the best looking set up but it is hidden by the garage from the back of the house and gets the afternoon sun.

nice setup there. that's what im thinking of doing now. possibility of being a little more mobile as im only renting my house but ill head down to the society meeting this weekend and say hi to Shannon and get his ideas
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

Grant Bowie wrote:
Keels wrote:I do have trees that are not really suited to the weather in canberra then again im a little in experienced in identifying whats actually happening with my trees. I think I actually might look at giving away my figs as ive struggled to keep them going in this weather.

Thanks guys
I grow my figs inside the house in an unheated room for 6 months of the year. Put them outside in October and defoliate to force them to put out new growth.

The growing season for Figs in the ACT is as little as 6 to 8 weeks(January and Feb).

Grant

so grant do you have banyan figs? thats the only type that struggles my other port jackson figs are fine normally, two weeks ago i go home late from work and all the leaves had burnt from the frost. should recover but itll be tough in winter for it now.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

If you were living in the snowies tonight the only place I would suggest is a bunker . Just got back from my neighbours house which literally imploded .
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Keels wrote:
Grant Bowie wrote:

Thanks guys

Grant

so grant do you have banyan figs? thats the only type that struggles my other port jackson figs are fine normally, two weeks ago i go home late from work and all the leaves had burnt from the frost. should recover but itll be tough in winter for it now.
Not Banyan. I do grow Port Jackson and Willow Leaf fig; and clerodendron.

If you do work out a shelter of some sort you may be able to grow bougainvillea and the more exotic figs on a heat mat. Shannon has been looking into it, so certainly do get his advice.

grant

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”