Defoliate figs?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Defoliate figs?

Post by EdwardH »

I defoliated my 8 year old fig last summer. Note the tree was very healthy with plenty of bushy growth. I did a complete defoliation in January (mid summer in Sydney) and only watered when the pot was almost dry (they do not like wet feet :shake: ). The tree produced buds all over, ranging from 2cm from the soil line to the tips of the branches after about 3 weeks. I have defoliated this fig 3-4 times with no ill effects. Results are not as good if the temperature cools down for the month - January is usually pretty safe in Sydney.
I find that Benji's leaves tend not to reduce in size as dramatically as many other fig species e.g. Port Jackson.
Ben Thomas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Ben Thomas »

Brad, why no Diatomite?
Ben Thomas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ben Thomas »

Thanks for the info everyone!
Brad75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple Juniper
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by Brad75 »

Ben Thomas wrote:Brad, why no Diatomite?
Hi Ben,

I don't use diatomite because it sometimes isn't what it is sold as. Diatomite is calcified remains of sea creatures called diatoms and what I have seen is pebbles, clay and something else that turns to mush like hardened clumps of paper mache mixed with sand and baked. It breaks down in water and makes a grey mush which clogs the soil and starves it of oxygen. The best mix I have used is premium potting mix with coarse sand or crushed granite and perlite; all roughly 1.5 to 3mm after sifting. Add powdered Dynamic lifter on top for 1 fifth of the growth season and then finish off with Powerfeed or Seasol every 10 days. Never fails.

Cheers,

Brad75.
Ben Thomas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ben Thomas »

Ok, thanks!
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Hi guys this is what this thread has been condensed too so far...
I'll be updating this too the Wiki soon and will be happy to hear any further comments?

Defoliation Forward:
This short article is based on forum members feedback Australia wide. Local climate anomalies, age of tree’s, weather before and after care may impact one’s results and experience. Use this information as a guide.

Why Defoliate?
There are a namely a few reasons one may defoliate including:
1. Ramification
2. Reduction in leaf size
3. Balance of the tree
4. Back budding
5. Reduction in tree size
Generally speaking one wishes to achieve either one or potentially all of the above when considering this technique. Before defoliating ones tree a few considerations should be made….
First ask the question… Why I am defoliating?

If the answer is any of the 5 header points above then this technique may be quite valid. However if you wish to grow a tree and to increase it’s size then defoliation is probably left until later in a tree’s development stage.
It also allows you to balance the trees growth. You can do partial defoliation of the areas which you want to stunt growth in. Most figs have strong apex growth, and to push growth down to the bottom branches, I defoliate the top, leaving the bottom to grow freely. Thickens the bottom branches and balances the tree.

How to:
Before proceeding on this section it should be noted that generally speaking there are a couple of processes including
1. Partial defoliation.
2. Complete defoliation.
In addition it should be defined that defoliation is the removal of a tree’s foliage either in full (complete defoliation) or part (partial defoliation). It is also generally accepted that the process should include the removal of the branches terminal bud (This is the bud at the tip of a branch). Without removal of this bud the defoliation process can yield less than desirable results in the form of continued branch growth and little to no ramification or back budding.
Partial defoliation allows one to balance the trees growth by removing leaves and terminal buds in the areas which you want to stunt growth in.

Most figs have strong apex growth. Partial defoliation allows one to push growth down to the bottom branches which are allowed to grow freely. This results in thickening of the bottom branches and improved balance of a tree.
Some forum members defoliate older leaves which are typically lower on the branches in question. This results in new branches closer to the trunk. Care is taken not to remove all the old leaves as they will fall over time. In general if a new branch is not required a leaf may be left in place.

Now that we have discussed partial defoliation, the less complex task of complete defoliation is simply the total removal of all leaves on a tree coupled with the removal of branches terminal buds. Taking into consideration the points above around partial defoliation, one may wish to consider keeping both leaves and terminal buds in some areas of a tree.
Generally speaking defoliation should be used on slightly more mature branches that at least have a few leaves in place. Sterilisation of tools is also highly recommended as this process could lead to tree infection.

To defoliate a tree one simply removes the entire leaf leaving the stem / petiole in place. The petiole will usually drop off in a week or two as the new bud/s extend.

When to:
This caused much deliberation over exact dates and really due to different climates, species and personal microclimates times will differ.. In general consider the following guides.
* Defoliation may be commenced as early as spring.
* Preference for first defoliation in late spring early summer (November, December)
* Should be done when the weather is warm
* Should be done when a tree is actively growing
* Should be done only on a healthy tree
* Avoid defoliation before a cool weather spell
* Keep the tree shaded after defoliation or trunk/branches may burn.
Anecdotally a forum member was told via a very well respected Bonsai practitioner Dot Koreshoff that the best time to defoliate figs was on Christmas Eve.

Note I also have topics re.

How many times
Additional notes

That are still being worked on..

Regards,
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”