Shade Cloth

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Re: Shade Cloth

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

I spent the weekend putting up the second section of shade cloth. Hammered the eyelets, cut the wire rope, attached the attachments, and tensioned the turnbuckles...

Then after putting it all up, I realised I'd hammered the eyelets 1m apart instead of 1.5m apart, effectively reducing my shade area from 3m width to 2m width.

:palm:

Salvageable, but I need to take it all down and re-do it all now.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: December 11th, 2023, 10:24 am I spent the weekend putting up the second section of shade cloth. Hammered the eyelets, cut the wire rope, attached the attachments, and tensioned the turnbuckles...

Then after putting it all up, I realised I'd hammered the eyelets 1m apart instead of 1.5m apart, effectively reducing my shade area from 3m width to 2m width.

:palm:

Salvageable, but I need to take it all down and re-do it all now.
Learn by doing, you know now if in future you extend it further or make a stand alone structure :tu2:
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Post by Phil Rabl »

Hail is another thing to consider if you instal shade cloth on a horizontal roof. We seem to get a lot more hail storms these days, and if hail builds up on your shade cloth too much, you run the risk of the shade cloth collapsing on to your trees. The photo shows my solution: I have installed weld mesh on the roof and the shade cloth sits on top of it. The mesh on the walls is to keep possums out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”