Shade Cloth

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: conifers
Bonsai Age: 0

Shade Cloth

Post by Inspired »

Hi

Each year I have casualties from our brutal sun.. last year was an awesome camellia with a great 3d nebari to die for :palm:

This year :geek: I've decided to install a green shade cloth. I only wanted to block out 30% but however was told 50% was the minimum.

I installed it over the weekend.. very happy.

I've got a wisteria that is growing very well and have put it under the shade cloth as a centerpiece for now.

I know they need full sun to encourage great blooms for next year. Would being under a shade cloth impact this.

With east to west sun, being in Vic the sun currently arks right over so it does get constant sun.. just not as strong as full sun though

Any thoughts?
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Re: Shade Cloth

Post by Andrew F »

I'd love to find something in the 10-20% to go over my bench just to take the sting out of the mid summer sun. Found the same thing only 50% +. Keen to see if anyone knows where to get it from.
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

I have heard of 30% before, wouldn't know where to look though :confused:
DeadStar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DeadStar »

Ive never found 30% shade cloth in any of the big box stores or hardware stores around me. But if your happy to buy online there are plenty of options avaliable for 30% in green, black and some places had white also.
Last edited by DeadStar on November 3rd, 2014, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

I'm about to get some shadecloth to protect from the Perth summer sun, but after reading the thread below I'm restricting it to white colour, at 30% if I can find it. Reasoning seems to be to allow the full spectrum of light to get through.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17414
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Guys , plenty of Ebay sellers have 30 % woven fence /dust guard . It has eyelets/holes in each side for threading stainless wire through if desired , however it only lasts 3 years up here it the heat and cold then the edges with the eyelets/holes tears off .

Personally i would go for 50% knitted if i was to replace the 100m needed here . I grow most potted tree's here under 30-50-70-90 % cloth and shade sails with 95% block out . It doesn't effect the health of the trees as they do recieve 1-1 1/2 hours of full sun during summer and all are removed once the heat has passed .

Cheers Alpine
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Inspired »

eBay? Doh!

Now I wished you never mentioned it as I was to trigger happy to get the structure done :palm:

Would my wisteria get enough sun under the 50% shade cloth?

What trees would go well under there? Ficus, maples, recovering trees and shohins i guess
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Inspired , mate pines , J&T maples , junipers , cherries , crabapples , elms , figs . Any stock I have can and will grow under shade cloth , forget the bull#&*^ about light rays and the likes . Most trees will grow in semi shaded positions under the canopy of a tree , shade cloth is not 100 % block out however I can grow material under a roofed pergola 365 days a year if required , just don't bring it out in full sun on 30 + degree day as it will require adaption to the full sun .

Cheers . Alpine
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Inspired »

Thanks Alpine.. will the trees get leggy?

so 50% isnt too much blockerage?
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that most tree's do their growing in optimal conditions.
If I recall correctly this is somewhere around say 18-20 degrees to under 30ish?
Below and it's too cold... Above and it's too hot.

So by this theory the protection from the hottest sun in mid summer would not result in leggy growth as little to no growth occurs in this time?

I myself put up some shade cloth (not even sure what %) during the heat of summer here in Vic and fingers crossed have not had any major casualties as yet.... Nor have I observed any leggy growth.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

My 70% shade cloth (which in reality is not 70% but more like 40 or 50) goes up about mid November and comes down about the end of March. Everything is covered. Many of the decidous trees keep growing well only if they are shaded over our summer. I think it's basically essential in Oz. Even cacti will grow better under shade in summer.
Mike
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Best to allow the spring growth to grow in full sun, harden off and then put up shade cloth. This way the new growth is as compact as its going to get and then after the shade cloth goes up it gets protection from the worst sun and temps

I will roll out my shade cloth in Canberra around mid December and peal it off in mid to late Feb.

I can't speak for places of extreme heat like Adelaide and Perth. I would probably have it up for longer.

Don't go any heavier than 50%

Grant
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Inspired »

Makes a lot sense Grant and so simply put!

Cheers all
TreeHugger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples,Chinese elms
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: South Australian Bonsai Society Inc

Post by TreeHugger »

I had 2 big junipers under a 70% block out shade sale last year and they grew ugly pollen balls everywhere,which I had never seen before. I was told this happened because they didn't get enough natural sunlight, not sure if this is true or if it was just coincidence ... Thinking my maples and ash trees will definitely need some shade this year as our summers combined with hot northerly winds are a definite leaf burner
Jhalkhoree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Jhalkhoree »

I just received delivery of white 30% shade cloth today. Bought it on EBay. I have used 50-70% block in the past and found it to be too shading. Although the growth on many of my trees were fine, I noticed moss growing on the trunk, branches, the rocks and even the tables. Having spoken to Ray Nesci, he suggested using 30% block. Hopefully this works better and not cook the leaves on my maples.
Jay
Ilemaurice

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”