Expert Maintenance

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Expert Maintenance

Post by kcpoole »

I have never actually permed any bonsai work for hire.
The prices quoted is only what I would work for or expect to pay others to.workmon.my trees, not what I have been paid
I am only an amateur.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner

Post by kcpoole »

Very surprised of that figure Tien.
Interesting points too Gerard
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

bonsaisensation wrote:
kcpoole wrote:I would do so for $80 per hour. minimum 1/2 day call out :-)

Ken
hi Ken
if you don't mind me asking, how do you arrive at your price? it'd be useful for the general bonsai public to get a sense of how we value our work. and perhaps if anyone cares to comment, how they value our work.
EdwardH wrote:A point to consider before paying for a days work by one of the more proficient bonsai practitioners around is do you have any trees worth the expense? <br abp="708">In my view, unless you have a stump with plenty of options for carving or extreme bending, or a tree which is at or near show quality which you want to take to the next level, then you waste their time, experience and your money. <br abp="709"><br abp="710">Another point is each probably have high level of skills or experience in certain areas which the others may not have, or at least not to the same proficiency. For example if I was doing Melaleucas then I'd call Pup.<br abp="711"><br abp="712">Another point to consider is artistic flair. Do you appreciate an artists style? Picasso is a world renowned painter but I loath his work. Give me Rembrandt any day. :whistle: <br abp="713"><br abp="714">In my view, $100 an hour is probably a fair rate for most demonstrators whilst those who have developed trees to say international level e.g. Pup and Hugh Grant, Ray Nesci etc. would have to be worth at least double or triple that figure.
hi EdwardH
it's great to know that there are someone like you who are willing to pay $200-$300 an hour for Pup, Hugh or Ray's work. i'll personally get in contact with Ray to inform him of the good news. :tu: :tu:
I work for $50-00 an hour plus expenses. :palm:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I work for 45 plus materials plus beer. :beer: oh, and i babysit trees for a dollar a day plus expenses.
Last edited by bodhidharma on November 26th, 2014, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

I do work on customer trees but tend to quote per tree. This obviously changes depending on what needs doing. Most trees i work on take 6-8 hours to clean, wire and style. If i was charging $50 an hour I would be running into the $400 a tree mark. this for most people would be far too much. Obviously you need to price at a level that is affordable and encourages repeat custom.

Its a hard problem and probably why doing it 'professionally' is so difficult.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Trying not to rustle too many jimmies but is there any trees in Australia that warrant the sorta money thats been proposed?
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner

Post by kcpoole »

Interesting discussion.
It seems I might be thinking way above the real price, Good thing I am not trying to get work or make any money out of Bonsai. :lol: :palm:
Does anyone know what the contract labour costs are in the nursery or Tree lopper / Garden care game?

Around here, Builders charge from $60 and hour for the young blokes to $100 + for the older more skilled guys. ( i am pricing them now). Similar for plumbers. My thoughts would be the 10 - 20 year skill veteran would be worth similar.

Good Question Andrew and i can only say I assume so. There must be high value trees around that need or would benefit from profession care.

Ken
Billy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Billy »

Andrew F wrote:Trying not to rustle too many jimmies but is there any trees in Australia that warrant the sorta money thats been proposed?
It's not really about if the tree's are good or not, some people are collectors of Bonsai for example and don't really want or know how to wire/style trees.
There's a saying(not mine) -maybe oldschool-maybe not." There are 2 types of bonsai people, the first can Grow good bonsai , and the second can Style good bonsai. People that can do both properly are rare." The difficulty is finding the balance between the two. :beer:
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pinus
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: bonsai society of vic

Post by bonsaisensation »

Billy wrote:
Andrew F wrote:Trying not to rustle too many jimmies but is there any trees in Australia that warrant the sorta money thats been proposed?
It's not really about if the tree's are good or not, some people are collectors of Bonsai for example and don't really want or know how to wire/style trees.
There's a saying(not mine) -maybe oldschool-maybe not." There are 2 types of bonsai people, the first can Grow good bonsai , and the second can Style good bonsai. People that can do both properly are rare." The difficulty is finding the balance between the two. :beer:
My observation is this" there are those who can grow trees well, and those who can style trees well. People who can do both properly are rare. When they do, I'd call them people who can grow bonsai". :beer:
check out our new website:
http://bonsaisensation.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

bonsaisensation wrote:
Billy wrote:
My observation is this" there are those who can grow trees well, and those who can style trees well. People who can do both properly are rare. When they do, I'd call them people who can grow bonsai". :beer:
I would like to think my trees speak for me, so I guess, you might say I can grow bonsai. :whistle:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Pup wrote:I would like to think my trees speak for me, so I guess, you might say I can grow bonsai.
Onya Pup :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

I charge a flat rate of $70 per hour whether for bonsai work or private workshops/lessons etc and am busy enough in my retirement. People also pay for travelling time to and from if I go to their place and I am getting repeat business.

I have overhauled, repotted, wired, styled single trees up to whole collections .

I enjoy the private one on one workshops as these are very focused on a result; passing on skills and getting a good bonsai at the end of the day.

Grant
Sean M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society; Weston Creek Bonsai Group

Post by Sean M »

Without wanting to rustle more Jimmies have a look at the 360 degree red pine post on here. I'd say there are a few.
So the Redwood turns to the Bonsai and says "Lend me a Tenner"......
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

Grant Bowie wrote:I charge a flat rate of $70 per hour whether for bonsai work or private workshops/lessons etc and am busy enough in my retirement. People also pay for travelling time to and from if I go to their place and I am getting repeat business.

I have overhauled, repotted, wired, styled single trees up to whole collections .

I enjoy the private one on one workshops as these are very focused on a result; passing on skills and getting a good bonsai at the end of the day.

Grant

Hi Grant, what would you say is the average time you are spending when working on individual trees during styling/re-styling?
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Unskilled labour $60 an hour? Perhaps if charged out by a 2nd or 3rd party.

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”