Japanese Maple - help needed for beginner

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Skibo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Japanese Maple - help needed for beginner

Post by Skibo »

Evening all,

First post here and unfortunately not the greatest start! :(

So i was gifted a Japanese Maple by my partners parents for Christmas. Always thought Bonsai was great and wanted to get into it, and I did some reading up on what to with the tree but i think i have failed?

I had the tree in a spot where it received morning sun, but no afternoon sun, and used a hand held spray bottle to water it each morning and afternoon as when i watered it 'normally' the water would just filter out the bottom of the pot and i was concerned it would not receive enough.

I only sprayed the leaves in the afternoon (not in direct sunlight) as i read the leaves dodnt like that and would burn.

I sprayed the roots on the rock, and the surrounding soil etc enough so it was moist but not soaked. So no more than a few pumps of the bottle.

Seemed to be going along fine....but then one morning i walked out to the leaves appearing as though they were drying out? Just did not look healthy at all...

Then i read also that overwatering (as well as underwatering) can possibly cause this? So i didnt water it and have left it for the last 5 days thinking that it might recover rather drown but i dont think its worked.

Im feeling as though ive lost the tree :( im disappointed but i know it hard and im a beginner so its somewhat expected a little!

Can anyone give me a little advice on what might perhaps be the cause of this? Or even advise on how i can tell if i have lost it or if it can be saved??

Grateful for any advice! (Please be gentle! Haha - i will also continue to browse these forums too as time goes on as im sure theres plenty of info and tips, however it always easier to start a new thread when you're new! ;) )
tmp_8129-2015-01-18 20.05.351958035666.jpg
tmp_8129-2015-01-18 20.06.22-447249052.jpg
tmp_8129-2015-01-18 20.06.53-794168049.jpg
Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Chris :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Japanese Maple - help needed for beginner

Post by Naimul »

looks like it has died, unfortunately. scratch the bark and see if it is still green underneath or not. it also sounds like it died from under watering, the spray bottle wasnt giving enough water. water that filters out from the bottom when you water "normally" is excess water out of the pot, when you water that way, the entire contents of the pot (soil and roots included) get saturated. watering with the spray bottle only would have, as you say, moistened the surface roots and the surface soil, the remainder of the soil and roots would have stayed dry.

dont beat yourself too much over this, everyone has lost a tree in the beginning stages. hopefully youll arrange another tree and continue the hobby. i recommend doing a search of the forum regarding watering and basic care, as well as taking a look at the wiki. try get a hold of a more beginner friendly tree as well, like ficus or even chinese elm, theyll take a beating and are good for practicing on, and still can look great as bonsai
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It does look pretty dead but sometimes they will come back. Immediately submerge the pot in a bucket of water and leave it to soak overnight. Then water properly every day for 3-4 weeks and keep your fingers crossed. It may just produce new buds. If it does not you will have a pot to put a new bonsai into ;)

Unfortunately your inlaws have given you one of the more difficult species for bonsai. Japanese maples are not the hardiest bonsai and should only be attempted by more experienced growers :imo:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Is that moss on the surface or the roots?

Hope it is just moss.
See the wiki for some tips on how to keep trees healthy wile learning, it really is the most difficult aspect of Bonsai
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... ai_healthy

Soak the entire pot for a few minutes until the soil is completely wet through, then let it drain. In hot weather, water 2 times a day by watering can and allowing water to run clear out of the the bottom of the pot, come back in 5 minuets and repeat.

Try with this one and if not too late it may come back
Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings, You must treat a tree as if it is a puppy, do something with it everyday, then extra on the weekend. I suggest on Saturday morning you place the pot in the sink and fill the sink until the water is halfway up the trunk. If things crawl from the pot, kill them, spray or squash, if something floats off it is probably not needed. After a cup of tea remove the plug and allow the water to drain slowly. It will need Water everyday.
Join a bonsai club.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce.
Bonsaifan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Bonsaifan »

May still be some hope for it as the main trunk looks green.
On hot days water the plant till water drains through the bottom. I sometimes water 2 times a day. More than likely it has not received enough water...rather than too much water. Good luck with it.
Skibo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Skibo »

Gday,

Thanks for the replies guys...much appreciated. Will attempt a soak session and more water as pretty much everyone has recommended and see if i can get it back. If not...then yep at least ill have a pot for another? ;)

Valid point (that didnt really click until now) mentioned above about the spray bottle not being enough to soak the roots. I thought that what i was doing was going to help with the water soaking into the soil rather than the vast majority flowing through and out the bottom of the pot but sure does look like i misjudged that! lol

Thanks again

Cheers

Chris :)
trident76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple, Ash, Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by trident76 »

Quick tip to let you know if its over watered or under watered. If over watered the leaves are brown and soft. If under watered the leaves are brown and crunchy. Your tree looks under watered. Its probably not dead yet. Keep on reading.
After roughly 20 years of growing bonsai, I reckon I might just be starting to get the hang of it...
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Skibo,
A number of the members have mentioned soaking the tree in water. I would add one more point. At least 3 times a week put some Seasol in the water when soaking the tree. Use a ratio of 3ml per litre of water.

Regards Ray
Rustdust
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided

Post by Rustdust »

I'm a beginner too mate, good luck I hope it pulls through. It seems there is an ironic relationship between a heavy drainage requirement of the medium which in turn requires frequent watering ... or ... frequent watering requires heavy drainage :lost: Its a yin yang thing :P
Although a tree is a thousand Chang in height, its leaves still fall to the ground.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I'ld be repotting it into a plastic nursery pot with a good potting mix without disturbing the roots, Plant it deeper than it is now about where the lower trunk changes colour. It will be easier to keep the tree moist where the small pot it is in will need a good watering at least twice a day during summer, maybe 3 times if hot and windy.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
nikki
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by nikki »

Just wondering how did your tree go??

nikki

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”