English Oak

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: English Oak

Post by legoman_iac »

Martin555 wrote: January 5th, 2024, 4:04 pm You mentioned you got the oak tree from Necises, I have googled this and get nothing, I am trying to locate an english oak starter tree and would really appreciate any help.
Guess maybe Ben was referring to Ray Nesci (and the family) who have the awesome bonsai nursery in Dural? I drive out from the city just to get soil, then end up buying different stock each time. Recall seeing Oak of some sort, give them a call before you go out?

Else, I have access to an Oak, which is due for a big dump of acorns in a month or two? How young a starter are you looking for?
Martin555
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Martin555 »

Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful reply, I would imagine price will determine what age Oak I will choose, I am an absolute beginner and am really doing as much research into tree availability as I can, Shibui Bonsai have an amazing range of superbly grown starter trees, I only have a large balcony and a bright living room which I am converting to a succulent/bonsai gallery/workshop, I have found the dural farm and will see what they have, any tips you may have for me would be most appreciated, anyway thanks again for the help. :yes:
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

I've got a few oak, growing from acorn ... but lost as many. Found Oaks trickier to keep/repot ... learnt the hard way not to prune too much of the roots.

If starting ... get a few (don't be disheartened when you lose a few bonsai but try to learn as much as you can ... over or under watering we're common killers). Maybe don't get starters but as stock as thick as you can get, experiment and share on here!

Highly recommend Shibui Bonsai ... great trees, great service, and he posts them to Sydney!!!
Martin555
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Martin555 »

Thanks for the reply, by saying get stock as thick as you can do you mean buying a large established plant and using that? I have looked at a couple of one metre high jade plants after seeing a youtuber do amazing things with one, would that be what you mean, have you any grown plant suggestions, I will probably focus on Mame type as I have limited space and like small things but will have a few larger ones, am letting my ocd go glacial with this, wonderful hobby, really is.
JimmyBanks
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JimmyBanks »

Interesting! I got an English Oak from the Nursery the other day to try my hand at. Will definitely keep a look out for this on it. Thanks for posting!
Martin555
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Martin555 »

What nursery did you find the oaks? thanks.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Martin555 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 7:07 pm What nursery did you find the oaks? thanks.
Jimmy above you is listed in Melbourne, so i doubt it will help you. Oaks are few and far between as bonsai subjects and especially as garden trees now with everyone moving to smaller houses. They are plentiful in botanical gardens though; you could go for a walk and collect fallen acorns with little difficulty, and they germinate exceptionally well.

Or come for a drive down to Melbourne and buy my Turkey Oak stump i have for sale in the sales area of the forum ;) hahaha
JimmyBanks
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JimmyBanks »

Martin555 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 7:07 pm What nursery did you find the oaks? thanks.
Rockbank Nursery in Melbourne's West. I was driving from Ballarat back to Melbourne and couldn't resist going into a Nursery I'd never been in... It was the only English Oak I saw there. I usually try to buy more than one of each type of plant I get so that I build up my knowledge a bit faster with each one.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”