Air layering a Trident Maple

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Air layering a Trident Maple

Post by legoman_iac »

Argh! I've left the leaves alone but I'm the only one. Turns out a family of caterpillars has moved in. I've physically helped three move on though to a "better place" though wonder if it's time to napalm with confidor or equivalent?
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

legoman_iac wrote:Argh! I've left the leaves alone but I'm the only one. Turns out a family of caterpillars has moved in. I've physically helped three move on though to a "better place" though wonder if it's time to napalm with confidor or equivalent?
Hi Daniel,
If you have any domestic or native Bees, be careful with the spray. If you can spray when it's not windy and make sure it doesn't get on flowers of other trees. I also use the tables. Placing these in the soil the tree will take it up and do the job for you.

Regards Ray
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Thanks Ray! Good tip about the bees ... do have a few native bees visit, saw some the other day.

What do you mean by "use the tables"? Or did you mean 'tablets'?
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

legoman_iac wrote:Thanks Ray! Good tip about the bees ... do have a few native bees visit, saw some the other day.

What do you mean by "use the tables"? Or did you mean 'tablets'?
Hi Daniel,
Sorry mate I meant tablets.

Regards Ray
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

To chop, or not?

Didn't end up applying any post control, seems all the bugs just moved on. Yay!

However, I'm wondering, and half regretting, about whether I should trim back the branches.

Of the two trees, the big one which had a great root system when first potting, seems to have less leaves than the smaller one which only had one or two roots. I recently skimmed off the top soil, replacing it with new soil mixed with fertiliser. When doing this to both trees I noticed that the smaller tree had many many roots, and I'm guessing it's because I trimmed it back much more when first potting, giving it less to support.

Should I trim back the larger tree now, so it doesn't have so much to support? Or will trimming it now have little benefit, and should I wait until spring time to trim and style it?

I've noticed too that it doesn't dry out as quickly as the other trees, it is in a bigger pot but feel this might be an indicator it is struggling?

- Daniel

P.S it could also be struggling for other reasons, such as the large palm leaf that landed/half crushed it, my watering technique, etc
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

legoman_iac wrote:To chop, or not?

Didn't end up applying any post control, seems all the bugs just moved on. Yay!

However, I'm wondering, and half regretting, about whether I should trim back the branches.

Of the two trees, the big one which had a great root system when first potting, seems to have less leaves than the smaller one which only had one or two roots. I recently skimmed off the top soil, replacing it with new soil mixed with fertiliser. When doing this to both trees I noticed that the smaller tree had many many roots, and I'm guessing it's because I trimmed it back much more when first potting, giving it less to support.

Should I trim back the larger tree now, so it doesn't have so much to support? Or will trimming it now have little benefit, and should I wait until spring time to trim and style it?

I've noticed too that it doesn't dry out as quickly as the other trees, it is in a bigger pot but feel this might be an indicator it is struggling?

- Daniel

P.S it could also be struggling for other reasons, such as the large palm leaf that landed/half crushed it, my watering technique, etc
Hi Daniel,
Could you post a new photo of the large tree please. It would be good to see what the tree looks like now. This would also help with any advice offered. Good to hear the smaller tree is going so well.

Regards Ray
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Hey Ray,

Good thinking ... pics below, though I may have to retract my previous comment ... seems both are stuggling, though in different ways. The small seems to have chick px, or some similar black spotted variation?!

LARGE MAPLE:

The leaves are looking a bit dry/burnt again, should I keep them out of full Sun?

SMALL MAPLE:

Thought this one was doing super awesomely well, went out this morning to take these pics and seeing lots of black spots, as below:

Some kind of pest? Over watering? Underwatering?

When it's time, thinking I'll cut the large way back by two thirds, so only one third remains. The smaller one, perhaps take 50% off?

- Daniel
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Daniel,
Mate, the trees are not looking real healthy at the moment. I have added a couple of photos below. Cut the trees at the red lines and seal the cuts. Put some Seamungus on the soil and water in with Seasol. When watering these trees, give them a drink of Seasol a couple of times a week. You can water the Seasol over the trunk as well as the soil. When watering the trunk, make sure the temperature is below 30deg Centigrade. Place the trees in dappled sunlight, under a tree or something similar. It would be good to get some feedback in a few weeks to see what happens.
Large Maple-2.jpg
Small Maple-2.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The black spots could be a fungal infection of some sort but I'm pretty sure the burnt tips are from dehydration which can be caused by lots of different factors - lack of water, salt, poor roots are just a few.
I guess not enough water at this time of year. They are relatively large trees in quite small pots so they would dry out pretty quick. Full sun is good to produce short internodes but if you can't keep enough water up to them the trees will suffer. When in doubt, some shade is best and I think these trees need some.
Do you water the pots really well so that water runs through the mix or just water lightly? What ferts have you been using? Both these could have implications for the state of your trees.
I know Ray loves seasol but I'd just move the trees into light afternoon shade and water more for now. I do agree with Ray's advice to prune now which may reduce the stress on the trees.
I usually keep small pots like these on a humidity tray so they have access to extra water on hot days over summer.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Thanks for the prompt replies Ray and Shibui!

Will trim them back on the weekend. Was surprised how much you suggest to cut. Thought it would be stressful to cut them. Good to know a trim will help!

I've never actually used sealant, what do you recommend? Can I get something from bunnings?

I've been watering super gently with hose, so it drains out the bottom. Just applied some lifeForce Gold fert about a month ago.

Will move them into shade and update in a few weeks.

Thanks again!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There are special bonsai sealers but anything will do, except that black steriprune - yuk!
Personally, I would not bother sealing small cuts like these but it does help wounds to heal over quicker.

I asked about watering and fert because fertiliser salts can build up in potting mix if you don't flush enough water through the soil in hot weather. Salts can damage roots and symptoms are similar to the burnt leaves on your trees because the tree cannot take up water through damaged roots. so you can see that dry roots, rotting roots and salt damage can cause the same symptoms.
Your potting mix looks good. At this time of year I would water thoroughly every day - I actually water thoroughly twice each day through summer.

Pruning trees does remove some of the food factory (leaves) but they will normally respond by growing lots of new shoots and leaves. Pruning is good (actually vital) when growing bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

legoman_iac wrote:Thanks for the prompt replies Ray and Shibui!

Will trim them back on the weekend. Was surprised how much you suggest to cut. Thought it would be stressful to cut them. Good to know a trim will help!

I've never actually used sealant, what do you recommend? Can I get something from bunnings?

I've been watering super gently with hose, so it drains out the bottom. Just applied some lifeForce Gold fert about a month ago.

Will move them into shade and update in a few weeks.

Thanks again!
Hi Daniel,
The sealer I use is Kiyonal. You would need to to get this from a Bonsai supplier. I know Ray Nesci sells it.
Tube.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Trees have been chopped!!!!

I referred to Ray's pics several times, before nervously cutting back the maples, as below ...

"Large Tree" (actually just noticed a few new leaves poking through, they were just below Ray's cut lines, so kept them):

"Small Tree", mostly naked except for one leaf:

Now to wait and see if they shoot new leaves?! Will keep a close eye on the soil, and will feed them.

- Daniel S
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Quick update ... signs of life and new growth!!!

Large maple (need to rename it as they're both about the same height now, thinking "slanty maple"):

Small maple (to now be referred to as "split trunk maple"?):

Will update again in a few weeks with pics.

- Daniel
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

legoman_iac wrote:Quick update ... signs of life and new growth!!!

Large maple (need to rename it as they're both about the same height now, thinking "slanty maple"):

Small maple (to now be referred to as "split trunk maple"?):

Will update again in a few weeks with pics.

- Daniel
Hi Daniel,
That's good news mate. Trust they will continue to power on now.

Regards Ray

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”