Bonsai Tool Storage - Idea's Please

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Bonsai Tool Storage - Idea's Please

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hello to all...
I've been looking into finding a safe home for all of my new bonsai tools. Keeping them well away from a clunky tool box. I have quite a few....Bonsai tools + Saws + Grafting knife comes to around 20 pieces. Now I know that's overkill (I just love the craftsmanship of quality bonsai tools), & yes there are some that I only use occasionally & some that I just like to look at... I'd really like to have a tool case that folds over(like a book fold or maybe 2 folds) keeping it as compact as possible & would still really like to keep them confined to one case. I've looked at the synthetic branded bonsai cases online but they just don't seem to hold enough tools + pricy & I'd probably need 3 to accommodate my collection. The Idea of a tool roll was suggested but I'm not a fan. I'd end up rolling out the red carpet at the Logies.
So any way ...Here's the challenge........................Tool case storage ideas to hold a large number of tools. Something that stops them from being knocked around or scratched. And as compact as possible....

Oh Yeah...If any of you already have excellent storage for your tools, have designed & made a case yourself or have purchased something that works really well.... then shoot you photo's this way....All suggestions on how to accommodate a large number of tools would be greatly appreciated.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Bonsai Tool Storage - Idea's Please

Post by treeman »

I keep mine under all the old leaves and cuttings or in some old potting mix until they go rusty. It's called seasoning.
Mike
Suomi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black pine
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Suomi »

treeman wrote:I keep mine under all the old leaves and cuttings or in some old potting mix until they go rusty. It's called seasoning.
:lol: :|
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

I had mine in a zip up tool bag that has internal pockets for years. worked ok for transport but was bulky and awkward when working on trees.

But just received a suede leather toll roll as a birthday pressie http://www.stonelantern.com/Suede_Leath ... p/tjr2.htm... brilliant, nothing better than having your vital tools laid out straight in front of you :yes: if you've got more tools get a second tool roll, and organise as per their job i.e. one for repotting and root pruning, the other for trimming and wiring ;) :tu:

P.s a couple of club meetings ago we had about 4 experienced members get up and do simultaneous work on trees, all four rolled out tool rolls of various fabrics. Not one to follow just because, but in this case you can't deny experience :tu2:

if you really hate tool rolls, maybe a thin wooden or metal case? just think about mechanics tools for inspiration ... 8-)
Last edited by cre8ivbonsai on November 25th, 2015, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

I know you said compact, but I just got one of these:

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Sounds like you really need two. One at home for your rarely used and precious tools and then a roll for work shops etc.
Theres a guy at Waverley Bonsai Club Bruce who makes tool box style draws, display stands etc.. He has some with a turn table mounted on it, a couple of draws under it. I know he just makes to order now and will pretty much make what you want. I dont know what he charges. Personally I use a roll for the tools I use all the time at work shops. The tools I dont use everytime I have a peg board arrangement. Check out google bonsai tools holder/storage you may find something you like.
Cheers
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
JPG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop of WA

Post by JPG »

For a cheap alternative, try a chisel roll such as this one:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-1 ... -_p5820558
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

KIRKY wrote:Sounds like you really need two. One at home for your rarely used and precious tools and then a roll for work shops etc.
Theres a guy at Waverley Bonsai Club Bruce who makes tool box style draws, display stands etc.. He has some with a turn table mounted on it, a couple of draws under it. I know he just makes to order now and will pretty much make what you want. I dont know what he charges. Personally I use a roll for the tools I use all the time at work shops. The tools I dont use everytime I have a peg board arrangement. Check out google bonsai tools holder/storage you may find something you like.
Cheers
Yep it's a ripper - also comes with wire spooling as well! It really is an all-in-one! If you're interested I can put you in contact, but he is based in Melbourne ;)
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hey bonsaiforest , have you perhaps thought of one of those brief cases you get with the foam inside and you cut out the shapes of the things you want to store in it. I know you can get them with blank foam inside ready for cutting
Peterb
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

I'll be interested to see what comes from this post. I made a custom roll for my tools pictured below. Anything that is used regularly is in there. Things like bigger saws and branch spliter gets packed separately as needed. The reality is that you can't protect your tools from basic cosmetic wear. Much more important is to protect delicate cutting tips and protect your tools from rust and sap. There are some things like saws and Jin pliers etc that can all get banged together happily all their lives because if we are honest it does not damage them functionally. Invest your time and energy in a good cleaning routine and materials. Make sure you have creanmate or an equivalent and a bit of oil and keep your tools sap and rust free. You will be doing them more of a favor than you will with a fancy case. :imo:
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kachmica
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elms
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Goulburn

Post by kachmica »

I obtained one of these from B######s and adjusted the bottom bits to fit saws and bits plus cutters etc slip into the lid sleeve.
Works a treat and being a metal of sorts can slide about in the back of the ute to and from meetings and workshops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Black Knight
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai Inc

Post by Black Knight »

Hi Bonsaiforest,

Look at this website for some ideas- http://www.tools@justtools.com.au

Regards,
Black Knight
Small Trees
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Small Trees »

I have bought a leather roll from
Ryuga. It only holds 11 tools. I have just recently made a leather suede one up as my tools have expanded. I roll it up and put in a tool carry with individual pockets. As soon as you go to a workshop and you don't take it all. There's always something you wish you would of bought along as you needed it. I roll out my main tool roll and have a habbit of
Take one tool out and put tool back before I use another. I also try to put on seperate bench to prevent mess all over my tool roll. Especially when reporting.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hey Peterb....hows things...? hope all's well down your way...! Thanks for the suggestion of the brief case idea...still unsure of which way I'm gonna go...Need to do a little more research.

Cre8tivbonsai...I too currently have a Stanely Zip up tool bag...It has quite a bit of storage and a heap of pockets but I find it too cumbersome...It's definitely a pain having to cart it around...So think the option of down sizing and making something more compact is the way to go...

Kirky,Smalltrees, Cre8tivbonsai, JPG...Seems like the tool roll is the most popular...Simple design and light weight. If I head this way I'll probably be needing at least two.
Andrew Legg wrote:I'll be interested to see what comes from this post. I made a custom roll for my tools pictured below. Anything that is used regularly is in there. Things like bigger saws and branch spliter gets packed separately as needed. The reality is that you can't protect your tools from basic cosmetic wear. Much more important is to protect delicate cutting tips and protect your tools from rust and sap. There are some things like saws and Jin pliers etc that can all get banged together happily all their lives because if we are honest it does not damage them functionally. Invest your time and energy in a good cleaning routine and materials. Make sure you have creanmate or an equivalent and a bit of oil and keep your tools sap and rust free. You will be doing them more of a favor than you will with a fancy case. :imo:
image.jpeg
Hey Andrew...I too would like to see what comes of this post...And hope that all share their idea's. The more the better. By the way awesome tool roll you've got there. It must be satisfying to make your own & I think you have a winner...If you have the time...put a price on it & sell to AB members. Thinking it would be something that I to would like to do. Design and make my own, appreciating it a lot more than those bought off the shelf.

Any way lets see what others post
AGarcia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougie, Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by AGarcia »

I use a medium sized fishing box that has the three shelves that pop out when the lid is opened. I cut the little slots in the shelves to remove the little squares and had long compartments for the tools. The bottom part is for the bigger items. Works well, but has gotten quite heavy from all the tools it can fit.

AG

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”