New Bonsai. Where to begin?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Ronron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

New Bonsai. Where to begin?

Post by Ronron »

Hi everyone,

I have just gained interest in Bonsai and have done a lot of youtubing and reading but am still an absolute novice.
This weekend I drove past a garage sale and popped in and they were selling a bonsai for $5. It was owned by the seller's late mother who passed away and they said that it was at least 30-40 years of age.
They admitted that it had not been looked after for a while and had been neglected and has probably only been re-potted once or twice in its lifetime.

They think it is a Fig? the bark is extremely dry with many brittle bits to it.
First thing I have done is re-potted the plant with a bonsai potting mixture and trimmed the roots because they were extremely long and winding around the previous pot.
It was sitting in virtually no soil and only rocks, but the leaves look pretty good.
I was hoping to let it settle after the re-pot and then maybe cutting back the trunk to get some new branches.

Any tips or suggestions to rejuvenate this tree and where to prune/cut the trunk to get new branches would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

P.S. I have also put a separate condensed post in the tree ID section as I am not sure what species it is. I have tried my best to use the posting rules and using correct terminology guide on the forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ronron on April 2nd, 2017, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: New Bonsai. Where to begin?

Post by bonsaeen »

I am no expert but its probably a fig tree.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Ronron wrote:Hi everyone,
I was hoping to let it settle after the re-pot and then maybe cutting back the trunk to get some new branches.
Any tips or suggestions to rejuvenate this tree and where to prune/cut the trunk to get new branches would be greatly appreciated!
Hello Ron,

Welcome to AusBonsai.

The below information is based on how i would proceed after the recent repot and root prune.
As you mentioned letting the tree now settle in is a very good idea.
Initially give the tree a dose of Seasol twice a week for 2 - 3 weeks, then apply a complete fertiliser.
Keep it outside in a protected position which gets a decent amount of sun.
I'm not too sure where in Sydney you are but out my way the night time temperatures are beginning to be borderline to do any more work on your fig / Ficus.
My advice would be just let it settle in, grow some healthy roots for now and have a good read over winter before doing any more work - trunk chopping in Sept / Oct.
Have you looked within the Wiki section of AusBonsai (above right in the header area). Attached below is a direct link for bonsai and "When Should I":

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... hould_I%3F

Good luck with it,
Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on April 2nd, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

As Kevin said. Let it settle and probably chop below the spot where the 2 branches come from, but only when the weather has warmed back up and you see some good strong growth. You should get new buds all over the trunk then and you can select your branches and start from there. You may even get new shoots staring on the trunk before then. Let everything grow at this stage.

Beautiful mature bark on the base. That's something that takes a looong time on a fig. This is by far the best feature of this tree and styling should take it into account. Update this post in spring and we can give you more advice then.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Dansai...would you try to put some movement into the first and leader branches (1st photo) or this that detrimental to the health?
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

If you are keeping the branch wiring now wont hurt it at all. If you are going to remove it come Spring as per Dansai's suggestion don't bother with the wire.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Unles you are in the colder / higer areas of Sydney eg (Dural or lower Blue Mountains) then you should be fine to repot now in Sydney as you have done, just keep in full sun and feed with seasol for a few weeks. then fertilise thru winter.
I would cut back the long sticks now as it will shoot back before winter.

PS looks like port Jackson fig to me.
Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Ronron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ronron »

Hello Friends,

Wow, thank you so much everyone, I feel very welcomed and in very knowledgeable company. I am living out in Western Sydney. I think I will do what Kevin had suggested as most of you all agree with that. I was thinking maybe to trunk chop (will look to do it in spring now) probably at the bend (well below the two branches) - would there be anything wrong with this? Just because the proportion of tree to pot might look a bit weird; but happy to be guided by everyone.

I will definitely post in Spring before I make any drastic decisions.

Cheers again everyone!
Fingers crossed it survives through the winter! (Winter is coming!)
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Depending on how tall you want the tree be in the end, I might be leaning toward chopping above the bend.
there is nice taper between the sections and the the bend can add interest already.
When you next repot, tilt over so the base setion is sloping and the bend straightens up a little.
More dynamic that way IMHO

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Ronron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ronron »

Great! Thanks Ken. I'll keep reading about Bonsai over the winter but I'll purchase some seasol and fertiliser this weekend!

Thanks
Ron

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Ronron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ronron »

KIRKY wrote:If you are keeping the branch wiring now wont hurt it at all. If you are going to remove it come Spring as per Dansai's suggestion don't bother with the wire.
Cheers
Kirky
Thanks Kirky. I will probably let it grow! And then chop just above the bend.

Cheers
Ron

Ronron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ronron »

Kevin wrote:
Ronron wrote:Hi everyone,
Hello Ron,

Welcome to AusBonsai.

The below information is based on how i would proceed after the recent repot and root prune.
As you mentioned letting the tree now settle in is a very good idea.
Initially give the tree a dose of Seasol twice a week for 2 - 3 weeks, then apply a complete fertiliser.
Keep it outside in a protected position which gets a decent amount of sun.
I'm not too sure where in Sydney you are but out my way the night time temperatures are beginning to be borderline to do any more work on your fig / Ficus.
My advice would be just let it settle in, grow some healthy roots for now and have a good read over winter before doing any more work - trunk chopping in Sept / Oct.
Have you looked within the Wiki section of AusBonsai (above right in the header area). Attached below is a direct link for bonsai and "When Should I":

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... hould_I%3F

Good luck with it,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin. I appreciate it.

Ronron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ronron »

dansai wrote:As Kevin said. Let it settle and probably chop below the spot where the 2 branches come from, but only when the weather has warmed back up and you see some good strong growth. You should get new buds all over the trunk then and you can select your branches and start from there. You may even get new shoots staring on the trunk before then. Let everything grow at this stage.

Beautiful mature bark on the base. That's something that takes a looong time on a fig. This is by far the best feature of this tree and styling should take it into account. Update this post in spring and we can give you more advice then.
Thanks Dansai. I'm more reassured about that bark at the bottom! Yes I've always wondered how I'd get buds on the trunk. I'll be sure to update in spring!

Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi Ron

All good advice here.

If I was you I would pay a visit to Bonsai South Nursery 114-116 The Boulevarde
Caringbah NSW 2229 (02) 9531 4589

The owner of the nursery Leong had produced a book on using figs as bonsai, it will be good reading over winter to have you ready for spring.

This is the link to the book http://www.bonsaisouth.com.au/product/f ... e-climate/

Sorry but after a visit you will be completely hooked, the fig on the front cover of the book is in the nursery plus many more.
JC
Ronron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ronron »

Jdceng wrote:Hi Ron

All good advice here.

If I was you I would pay a visit to Bonsai South Nursery 114-116 The Boulevarde
Caringbah NSW 2229 (02) 9531 4589

The owner of the nursery Leong had produced a book on using figs as bonsai, it will be good reading over winter to have you ready for spring.

This is the link to the book http://www.bonsaisouth.com.au/product/f ... e-climate/

Sorry but after a visit you will be completely hooked, the fig on the front cover of the book is in the nursery plus many more.

Thanks JC! Will Maybe pay a visit this weekend!

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”