JBP

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria
Bonsai Age: 0

JBP

Post by Ilithya »

Hello everyone. Can anyone help me about this young jbp. im planning to wire this as a semi cascade and put root over the rock. what is the best style on this and i will leave it small tree.

Thank you
IlithyaImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: JBP

Post by Max »

I"ll give a suggestion if i may...yes :palm: okay thank you :o myself i would get some paper, put my tree in front of me and draw it, doesn't matter if they don't equate, then draw it how it will look, next year! remember to sketch actual leaf/needle size, then, size up (re-look) your tree, and draw it again. By then you'll see your trees movements, then you can follow it's flow, or redirect it. After 5 drawings, go back to your first one :o :whistle: :lol: 8-)
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Ilithta, I have a small JBP that looked almost the same as yours about 1year ago
I put a bend into the trunk at about this stage and left it a year: Its surprised me how well
it has grown by regular feeding/watering. Lots more new shoots which give me more options.
Put a bend into trunk then just feed/water for a year to get some heath and vigour into it.
That's what I would do and am doing with mine. Keep reading all the info here at AB about pines, there is heaps!
'developing young pines' is good start. Hope that helps a little.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

This one is still very young and flexible. You should be able to wire and bend into any position you want. Just put on one or 2 good trunk wires and start bending.
Check the surface roots first. You will want to be able to see good roots from the future front so find the best roots then bend so that becomes the best viewing angle.

Try not to make one single wide curve :tounge: cascade look best with a rather sharp curve close to the base that sets the tone and angles. More bends along the trunk should vary in size, shape and direction to make the tree look natural. Search for some inspiration first if you are not sure what makes a good cascade.

I think I would remove the top of the trunk above those 2 side branches. one of those branches will be developed into a branch, the other should form the rest of the trunk. The natural change of angle from the main trunk there will be an asset so bends you put into the trunk should allow for and work with that bend.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

no idea wrote:I"ll give a suggestion if i may...yes :palm: okay thank you :o myself i would get some paper, put my tree in front of me and draw it, doesn't matter if they don't equate, then draw it how it will look, next year! remember to sketch actual leaf/needle size, then, size up (re-look) your tree, and draw it again. By then you'll see your trees movements, then you can follow it's flow, or redirect it. After 5 drawings, go back to your first one :o :whistle: :lol: 8-)
Thank you.

Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

robb63 wrote:Hi Ilithta, I have a small JBP that looked almost the same as yours about 1year ago
I put a bend into the trunk at about this stage and left it a year: Its surprised me how well
it has grown by regular feeding/watering. Lots more new shoots which give me more options.
Put a bend into trunk then just feed/water for a year to get some heath and vigour into it.
That's what I would do and am doing with mine. Keep reading all the info here at AB about pines, there is heaps!
'developing young pines' is good start. Hope that helps a little.
Sir. ill do that. thank you for your advice.
Ilithya

Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

shibui wrote:This one is still very young and flexible. You should be able to wire and bend into any position you want. Just put on one or 2 good trunk wires and start bending.
Check the surface roots first. You will want to be able to see good roots from the future front so find the best roots then bend so that becomes the best viewing angle.

Try not to make one single wide curve :tounge: cascade look best with a rather sharp curve close to the base that sets the tone and angles. More bends along the trunk should vary in size, shape and direction to make the tree look natural. Search for some inspiration first if you are not sure what makes a good cascade.

I think I would remove the top of the trunk above those 2 side branches. one of those branches will be developed into a branch, the other should form the rest of the trunk. The natural change of angle from the main trunk there will be an asset so bends you put into the trunk should allow for and work with that bend.
Sir. Thank you for your advice.

Ilithya

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”