Crab apple

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria
Bonsai Age: 0

Crab apple

Post by Ilithya »

Hello everyone. please help me i just bought this crab apple this morning. just wondering if do i need to cut some of the trunk or not im thinking to do similar to the photo.

Thanks
IlithyaImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Crab apple

Post by alpineart »

Hi Ilithya,
Mate you have several choices , you either cut the trunk and regrow into the desired shape , wire into shape or using several guide wires to anchor the trunks down into the desired position .

I use shade cloth slings and hook and hold / guide wires over the branches or trunks and secure to the base or lips of pots to form the basic curved trunks required , allow to grow on and clip the branches into shape .

Dont try to pull the trunks all the way down in 1 hit or breakages might occur , do it in stages over a period of time . If done now by Winters end they will have nice movement pre set , Remove the old wires a re-set for the growing period or adjust the guide wires to suit .

Hope this helps .

Cheers . Alpineart
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Crab apple

Post by Ilithya »

alpineart wrote:Hi Ilithya,
Mate you have several choices , you either cut the trunk and regrow into the desired shape , wire into shape or using several guide wires to anchor the trunks down into the desired position .

I use shade cloth slings and hook and hold / guide wires over the branches or trunks and secure to the base or lips of pots to form the basic curved trunks required , allow to grow on and clip the branches into shape .

Dont try to pull the trunks all the way down in 1 hit or breakages might occur , do it in stages over a period of time . If done now by Winters end they will have nice movement pre set , Remove the old wires a re-set for the growing period or adjust the guide wires to suit .

Hope this helps .

Cheers . Alpineart
Sir Alpineart,
Thank you so much for advice. ill do that on weds i cant wait for my off. hehehehe

Thanks
Ilithya

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”