Crabapple

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Crabapple

Post by Ilithya »

front right sideImage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

front left sideImage

Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

front left sideImageImage

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Ilithya,
I'm not sure if my message to you was sent properly. Please let me know if you have received it.
Frank.
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

Raging Bull wrote:Hi Ilithya,
I'm not sure if my message to you was sent properly. Please let me know if you have received it.
Frank.
Sir Frank,
i did not recieve your message.

Thanks
Ilithya
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Ilithya,
I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the messaging, :lost: I did attach this sketch and just tried again but it would not work. So I'll post it here and hope it works :fc: .
Cheers,, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

Sir Frank, thank you so much for your advice we have almost the same. but yours is better because i have to remove the thin trunk on the left side.

Thank you
IlithyaImage

Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

Sir Frank, which one do i have to used for apex?

Thank you
Ilithya

kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I like Franks' sketch if you are wanting a taller tree ( the second from the right will be the tallest trunk in the clump).

If you want to go with a longer development, then Treemans idea is also a good one.

In either case, you will need to cut back hard and then wire the new shoots you get as a leader, let that grow then repeat the cut back.
That will give you taper and ramification in the trunks allowing you to space them out.
Once you are happy with the trunk height then concentrate on developing the branching

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

kcpoole wrote:I like Franks' sketch if you are wanting a taller tree ( the second from the right will be the tallest trunk in the clump).

If you want to go with a longer development, then Treemans idea is also a good one.

In either case, you will need to cut back hard and then wire the new shoots you get as a leader, let that grow then repeat the cut back.
That will give you taper and ramification in the trunks allowing you to space them out.
Once you are happy with the trunk height then concentrate on developing the branching

Ken
Sir ken,

Thank you. ill do that on saturday.

Thanks
Ilithya

treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Ilithya wrote:Sir Frank, thank you so much for your advice we have almost the same. but yours is better because i have to remove the thin trunk on the left side.

Thank you
IlithyaImage

Ilithya,

Cutting where you marked is not much chop. To explain, ....one of the most fundamental points in making bonsai is the development or at least the potential for development of a tapering trunk. Of course if that is not important to you then it's fine to cut where you have marked. However, if it is important and you cut on your red lines, the trunk below the cut will not develop taper. Not next year or in 50 years. That part of the trunk will always remain parallel. In fact on the middle trunk, the upper part is even thicker than the lower part. The taper will then begin after your cut. In my opinion, we should try to make the best of the material at hand completely disregarding size or time otherwise, down the road we end up regretting that we did not do it. Taper comes from a combination of two things: the expansion of the nebari (or the branch immediately behind the one in question) and the replacement of leading apices with thinner ones further back. On this tree, you have nothing you can use to replace what is there so you must create one by hard cutting. The un-tapered length of any particular branch of a tree is/should be directly related to the size of the tree. In other words, the smaller the tree, the shorter the length of un-tapering branch. Conversely, the larger the tree the greater the length of straightness you can get away with. On a tree of this size, that length should be les than about 30 - 40mm. Any more than that will be glaringly obvious the more the tree develops. The other important point is the straightness of the trunks. Once again, lack of movement for that length on a tree this size is undesirable in most cases. So the combination of taper and movement is the first thing which should be considered any time we look at a piece of material. Of course you can also have too much movement and taper but that's another story!
Mike
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

treeman wrote:
Ilithya wrote:Sir Frank, thank you so much for your advice we have almost the same. but yours is better because i have to remove the thin trunk on the left side.

Thank you
IlithyaImage

Ilithya,

Cutting where you marked is not much chop. To explain, ....one of the most fundamental points in making bonsai is the development or at least the potential for development of a tapering trunk. Of course if that is not important to you then it's fine to cut where you have marked. However, if it is important and you cut on your red lines, the trunk below the cut will not develop taper. Not next year or in 50 years. That part of the trunk will always remain parallel. In fact on the middle trunk, the upper part is even thicker than the lower part. The taper will then begin after your cut. In my opinion, we should try to make the best of the material at hand completely disregarding size or time otherwise, down the road we end up regretting that we did not do it. Taper comes from a combination of two things: the expansion of the nebari (or the branch immediately behind the one in question) and the replacement of leading apices with thinner ones further back. On this tree, you have nothing you can use to replace what is there so you must create one by hard cutting. The un-tapered length of any particular branch of a tree is/should be directly related to the size of the tree. In other words, the smaller the tree, the shorter the length of un-tapering branch. Conversely, the larger the tree the greater the length of straightness you can get away with. On a tree of this size, that length should be les than about 30 - 40mm. Any more than that will be glaringly obvious the more the tree develops. The other important point is the straightness of the trunks. Once again, lack of movement for that length on a tree this size is undesirable in most cases. So the combination of taper and movement is the first thing which should be considered any time we look at a piece of material. Of course you can also have too much movement and taper but that's another story!
Sir Treeman,
this is what i done on my tree. hopefully in couple of years time will get the good result. thank you everyone for your help.

Thank you.
IlithyaImage

Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by Paul W »

Now that is what I call cutting back hard. :lol:
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice :yes:
Yes it is gutsy but you will get a much better tree for it in the long run

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

This time next year you'll be happy you did this :tu:

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”