Queensland Non-Winter

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Queensland Non-Winter

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi, I live on the Gold Coast, and here we don't get a "real" winter. This presents a problem insofar that deciduous trees don't turn to colour and often don't even drop their leaves because it doesn't get cold enough here on the coast. :?
Now this may sound a bit kooky, but has anyone with this sort of problem tried putting the trees in a fridge overnight every night for a couple of weeks or so? If you did, was it effective? I will soon have a spare fridge that will be a beer fridge, but the beer will just have to go in the kitchen fridge for a while if necessary.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Queensland Non-Winter

Post by shibui »

We have talked about this before. I am aware of one member who tried keeping a tree in the fridge for a few days but got worried about any possible harm and put the tree outside again before the experiment had a chance to work.
I'm not aware of any others trying this so would like to see you go through with it.
I think the idea of fridge overnight and sun during the day is better than just keeping the tree in the fridge for a week
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bonsai_creations
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus-mini unbrella-jade-natives

Post by Bonsai_creations »

Hi, not sure if that would work/it may but you would need to do it all winter.And have a timer on fridge to turn off during the day at correct times every day,then open the door for light............shouldnt need any light once leaves have dropped ....... .......((((((((Wait for some more responses here))))))) ......

I think some cut all leaves off to induce dormant state and leave outside..

BUT ((DONT)) DO THAT UNTILL YOU FIND OUT FROM THE CORRECT PEOPLE IN YOUR AREA THAT HAVE THAT TYPE..AND PROBLEM.

bUT I WOULD find a local bonsai garden (should be a few around ur area or bris) call them if u have too.or go there to see if the have the same type of tree and what they do,if u dont get a response from here soon enough.
Last edited by Bonsai_creations on June 21st, 2017, 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Been discussed, but not for a long time.
IMHO you woud have to provide a full service environment to achieve that result.

Temp control over a few months both day and night, Humidity control, Ensuring natural light
a big refrigerated glasshouse would be needed

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
itsfullofstars
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by itsfullofstars »

There was a guy on another forum from Bahrain trying to grow a japanese maple. Insanity, I know. But he claimed he could keep in a fridge for some months to simuate a winter.

In my opinion it would probably work. However you would miss all the autumn colour unless you stay in the fridge for a while.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I reckon it'd be worth a try, put it in the fridge at night, back out into the sun in the daytime.. You'd probably only need to do it for 4 - 6 weeks, I'd guess...

If I had a fridge spare I'd be giving it a go!
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I have done it successfully with an Azalea i was trying to hold off flowering for a show. I put it in the fridge during the day and brought it out at night and delayed its flowering for two weeks. The tree did not have any setbacks at all. It was a Karume "Christmas cheer".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I have done it successfully with an Azalea i was trying to hold off flowering for a show. I put it in the fridge during the day and brought it out at night and delayed its flowering for two weeks. The tree did not have any setbacks at all. It was a Karume "Christmas cheer".
Why in the fridge during the day and out at night, if you don't mind me asking?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

melbrackstone wrote:Why in the fridge during the day and out at night, if you don't mind me asking?
My logic was that an Azalea blooms in Spring because it warms up and gets more light so i kept it in the dark and cool during the day. I brought it out at night so it could breath and stay healthy and i could water it. in essence i extended its Winter hibernation. I put it into the fridge when the flowers had appeared as buds not when they were opening. Actually, i delayed it to much and it went to the show with large swollen buds about to flower
Last edited by bodhidharma on June 22nd, 2017, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

My logic was that an Azalea blooms in Spring because it warms up and gets more light so i kept it in the dark and cool during the day. I brought it out at night so it could breath and stay healthy and i could water it. in essence i extended its Winter hibernation.
Oh yeah, that makes sense now. Ta. :)

Maybe Raging Bull, and I, could take that into account too. We have much brighter sunnier Winter days than most Temperate climes... so longer in the dark could also help. I understand day length has a lot to do with how plants behave as well as the temps...
Last edited by melbrackstone on June 22nd, 2017, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

I added to the reply Mel.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Queensland Non-Winter

Post by Beano »

I brought this subject up a few years ago, asking about fridges and watering with ice cubes etc. I never tried it. I got a reply from someone who knew someone who tried it in the fridge but said it didn't change colour, all the leaves just dropped off.

If you want autumn colour, you should get some Crape myrtle. Very hardy, they definitely change colour and drop their leaves in Brisbane so should on the Gold Coast.
Last edited by Beano on June 22nd, 2017, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Ok, ta bodhi, I sorta figured they'd be buds rather than flowers. But thanks, I do think we probably need to manipulate both light and temp if we're going to make it work properly.

You guys get an hour or so less sunlight each day than we do in Brisbane during Winter...
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

I am putting an apple grown from seed in the fridge this weekend to induce dormancy. Note, this is not to colour up leaves.
I will put it in a bag to maintain moisture. I think it will be there for 4-6 weeks to get the right number of chilling hours. There is no need for light as it won't be photosynthesising.
Yes I know this crazy, but I grew it from a seed that had germinated in an apple that I was eating so it was silly thing to do from the start.
I will report back in a couple of months...
Cheers, Symon
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks for all the replies with your ideas & experiences :tu: . I wanted to know more for the leaf-drop than the colour, that would be a bonus. If the spare fridge becomes available in the next month or so, I'll give it a try, if not the experiment will have to wait 'til next year. It would also save me defoliating the trees.
Cheers, Frank.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”