Colanders

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Colanders

Post by Mbunro »

Mbunro wrote:Grabbed a bunch of these last time I was in IKEA... They are actually 2.95.. think this price is USD.. feel much sturdier than my last batch of dollar store ones, albeit a little deep. They keep thousands in stock too so can grab as many as you wantImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
They also have cheap lazy Susan's/ turntables... 10 dollar for the cheapest if I remember right

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Colanders

Post by Ray M »

Mbunro wrote:
Mbunro wrote:Grabbed a bunch of these last time I was in IKEA... They are actually 2.95.. think this price is USD.. feel much sturdier than my last batch of dollar store ones, albeit a little deep. They keep thousands in stock too so can grab as many as you want.
Hi Mbunro,
They look quite substantial. If you add some more holes that would help even more. The photo shows a couple of rows. Drill these right around the colander.
Colanders.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Colanders

Post by Beano »

I've been trying hard to find an online equivalent that is $1. Next time I will hunt down the Chinese supermarket and get some, but in terms of cost, including shipping I just got 12 orchid mesh pots 30cm, and 25 orchid pots 25cm for $2.58 each, which is cheaper than what I could find a "colander" suitable for this use for online anywhere. Also they're designed to have plant life in them so presumable should last longer in the garden conditions. Stuff marketed online as colanders these days are usually still intended to drain veges, and as such have been modernised and no longer have sufficient holes in them and require extra work from me to drill them, and as you say average between $3 and $5 which is a bit much in my opinion if you want a lot of them.
Last edited by Beano on July 26th, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”