Advice & ID

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
nicholascorr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Advice & ID

Post by nicholascorr »

Hi Brains Trust,

Long time peruser, first time poster.

My partner bought me home a plant from her workplace that isn't looking too good but thought I'd try and salvage it.

I have it soaking in Seasol following a light root prune to get it out of its old pot.

First question - should I trunk chop it now, or save what little foliage it has and wait for it to recover?

Second question - can anyone ID it from the photos below? I'm hazarding a guess its some sort of ficus.

Thanks!

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Advice & ID

Post by shibui »

That looks like Ficus benjamina - weeping fig. They are common as indoor plants so that tallies with a workplace plant.

I can't grow benjamina down here - too cold in winter but others do use them as bonsai. I believe they are not quite as good at shooting back on older wood when pruned so you might need to go a little easy on it. My inclination would be to water well, feed and wait for it to recover some strength before pruning or repotting later in summer.
Hope for more experienced growers to correct my advice.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Advice & ID

Post by melbrackstone »

Agree with shibui, it's a benji, and needs to get some health back before chopping severely...

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”