Risk of buying bare rooted bare trunk tree

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Risk of buying bare rooted bare trunk tree

Post by Bonbon »

Have seen so many recently in eBay and bought some too.
Some people say that it's risky buying that way.
What are the risks? The tree may not survive and reshoot? :lost:
It's very common in China buying trees that way because it's much cheaper and easier to post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Risk of buying bare rooted bare trunk tree

Post by melbrackstone »

I've bought bare root trees from quite a few different sellers, never had one not shoot after planting. As long as they're carefully packed and sent while the weather is cool you should be safe.
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

I bought a nice crepe myrtle on eBay last year, and when I removed a branch, I saw it had a borer infestation. Treated the borer tunnel, but the tree never leafed up come spring and went to the great bonsai garden in the sky :(
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

As a buyer you have no idea of how the tree has been treated before you get it. Maybe it has been left in the sun for a couple of days? Maybe it has been well cared for? Maybe it was sick before losing leaves? You as buyer have no idea what it has gone through or where it has come from.
As a seller I cannot tell whether the buyer knows how to care for a bare rooted tree so I cannot provide any guarantee that it will shoot properly even though I take good care of the trees I provide.

My guess is that more than 99% of bare rooted trees would be fine but there are always possible (remote) problems and worries for the buyer. Maybe it comes down to whether you are a gambler?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi guys and gals , as a seller on Ebay of bare rooted Bonsai material I have never had any issues with the material not growing . I have had 1 issue with a package being damaged in transit and 1 package went missing sent to QLD instead of S.A.eventually turning up 2 weeks later , it survived because of the way I package material . All my material is guaranteed to grow unless the buyer is at fault which hasn't happened to date

I have purchased bare rooted material from nurseries and never had any issues . Buying bare rooted material gives the buyer the opportunity to see either the developed Narebri or the basic roots that normal ground grown nursery stock has , be it online or not .

Postage seems to be an issue with some buyers on sites like Ebay so it cheaper and easier to sell bare rooted . In a decade of selling online I still have to explain or justify the postage costs to certain buyers who want quality material for basically nothing and free postage .

The main reason I sell online is because the average joe blow who doesn't belong to a club or a forum gets the opportunity to find good quality material at a realistic price and is under no pressure to purchase . Its a win -win situation , all buyers are informed about Ausbonsai and many buyers return for more material online or in person .

I have met some great people on Ausbonsai and Ebay so I keep doing what helps promote Bonsai in all shapes and forms .

Cheers Alpineart
Last edited by alpineart on August 5th, 2017, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi Alpineart

So I keep doing what helps promote Bonsai in all shapes and forms :tu: :tu:

Love it
JC
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

I've bought a lot of bare rooted trees over the years never had a problem. Only lost one due to Aust Post. When received the box and been stomped on or run over? The Elm didn't survive. No fault of the grower.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

If you buy from me you will have no problems. ;) I cut them and heal them in within an hour. Pack in damp shag before sending. After that if they fail the problem is at the other end.
Last edited by treeman on August 5th, 2017, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”