Japanese maple

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria
Bonsai Age: 0

Japanese maple

Post by Ilithya »

Hi. I just make this today and planning to develop the nebari in couple of years time. I just wondering should i wire the tree now or let it grow ? and if i can wire right now any style that I should bend the tree? It's my first time to make this forest style and been having hard time to find in internet.

Thank you
Ilithya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Japanese maple

Post by shibui »

I don't usually wire at this stage unless the trunks are going in the wrong directions. Yours look pretty well spaced to me and all going out away from the centre so just leave it at that for now and use pruning to make initial changes. I think the tree on the left will probably need to be cut shorter at some stage but that can be next year.

I only have 2 small observations:
Try to make the holes in your plate more random. You have made almost equal spacing which is not really natural. Next time, some holes close, others further apart for a genuinely natural look.
It looks like you have put the plate close to the bottom of the pot. If the trunks are buried too deep when new roots grow they can grow all along the buried trunks. I find it best to put the plate just 1cm under the surface so that all new roots are at exactly the same level. There is every chance yours will be ok but check next winter and cut off any roots that have grown too far up the trunks.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

Sir Shibui, is it to late to fix the hole to make it better in the future? And is it ok to make this one on the picture or can you please tell me where is the best place to make a hole?

Thank you
Ilithya

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I think you could probably make changes this year if you want to. It is always best for plants to have minimal disturbance but they should still be dormant now.
The changed hole is better I think. It will make a more rounded clump but you still have very equal spacing. If you're going to make the new hole put it closer to one of the other holes instead of equal space between.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ilithya
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ilithya »

Sir shibui, this is what i make now.

Thank you
Ilithya