Stimulating dormant buds.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Stimulating dormant buds.

Post by treeman »

This year, in a effort to get some dormant buds stirring on a Prunus mume, I had a go at applying some keiki paste to the points where the flowers were attached in the hope of getting any buds that might be there to move. The results are interesting! No buds appeared (so far) in those places (probably no buds there) but lower down on the stem, buds were stimulated and are now expanding. In my experience many of these buds would normally not grow or do so with great difficulty. Keiki paste is normally used for Phalaenopsis orchids to stimulate new plants to grow on old flower stems. It's basically cytokinin in a lanolin paste.
I think next time I will try to apply it directly to the cut. You need exposed tissue for it to be properly absorbed. There was a little of this freshly exposed tissue where I broke off the faded flowers.
P1110497.JPG
P1110492.JPG
P1110491.JPG
P1110490.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by treeman on September 12th, 2017, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Stimulating dormant buds.

Post by Ryceman3 »

Interesting post!
I have never heard of this product (then again, I've never heard of a lot of things!!). Looks to be having some positive effect on your prunus Treeman, what do you think the chances of it doing something similar on pines/junipers (or other more challenging "back budders") would be??
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Ryceman3 wrote:Interesting post!
I have never heard of this product (then again, I've never heard of a lot of things!!). Looks to be having some positive effect on your prunus Treeman, what do you think the chances of it doing something similar on pines/junipers (or other more challenging "back budders") would be??
I think you might have trouble with the resinous species because it may not mix with the sap well but I don't really know. It should certainly work with most other things. But most things really don't have trouble budding. I'm going to try it on dwarf cumquat next. Mabye some quince too??
Last edited by treeman on September 12th, 2017, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

I just noticed that there may be something trying to make it's way through here as well! If it is, I think we have definitive proof!
P1110490 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

A query if I can Treeman, no Prunus at my house so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

Why wouldn't those buds have normally extended through Spring? Being at the tip of the branch I would have thought they would have extended without the paste? Or is it a character flaw of the Prunus that buds on lower branches don't extend? :lost:

I'm guess you normally only get a few buds but not all?? Thanks for the interesting topic.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 12th, 2017, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I have noticed that on some plums (also a Prunus of course) back budding is sparce on small branches where the flowers are at the ends. I too have never heard of this product but there is room for thought......
Thanks for the post and info.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Pearcy001 wrote:A query if I can Treeman, no Prunus at my house so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

Why wouldn't those buds have normally extended through Spring? Being at the tip of the branch I would have thought they would have extended without the paste? Or is it a character flaw of the Prunus that buds on lower branches don't extend? :lost:

I'm guess you normally only get a few buds but not all?? Thanks for the interesting topic.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

If you look at pic 4 on the first post, you will see 2 buds pushing out of the collar at the base of the shoot. In fact there is also another one starting in the same area. This almost never happens on this Ume or others for that matter. I know the buds are there but they usually don't grow. Normally it would revert back the larger bud that is leafing out further down the stem and that shoot would die back to there. It's the usual way of things with this tree so I think this could a significant breakthrough as long as these smaller buds continue to grow well.
Last edited by treeman on September 12th, 2017, 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by RogerW »

G'day mike how can I source the paste?

Roger
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

treeman wrote:If you look at pic 4 on the first post, you will see 2 buds pushing out of the collar at the base of the shoot. In fact there is also another one starting in the same area. This almost never happens on this Ume or others for that matter. I know the buds are there but they usually don't grow. Normally it would revert back the larger bud that is leafing out further down the stem and that shoot would die back to there. It's the usual way of things with this tree so I think this could a significant breakthrough as long as these smaller buds continue to grow well.
Thanks for the explanation Mike :tu:

treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

RogerW wrote:G'day mike how can I source the paste?

Roger
Hi Roger. You get it at Flora Laboratories. I think they have an Ebay store as well.

http://floralaboratories.com.au/wordpress/
Mike
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi treeman, what an interesting post. Do you think it might work on a pomegranate , which sometimes don't want to bud on lower branches. Also do you think it might work on natives.
Cheers
Peterb
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by RogerW »

Thanks Mike

Roger
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

This is really exciting! Thanks Mike!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

peterb wrote:Hi treeman, what an interesting post. Do you think it might work on a pomegranate , which sometimes don't want to bud on lower branches. Also do you think it might work on natives.
Cheers
Peterb
There's no reason I know why it should not work Peter. Just remember that you have to apply it to exposed tissue, preferably to a bud with the protective covering removed (good luck with that!) There must be one or more buds there in the first place or you'll get nothing. If you cannot expose the bud, try to cut just above it and apply the paste to the cut. It doesn't wash off with water/rain. An alternative might be to scrape down to the cambium above and below the bud and putting some paste on that?
Mike
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Morning Mike, thanks for the reply. To go back to your reply, on natives that don't backbud on old wood, is that because there are no buds further down. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with us beginners Mike :hooray:
Cheers Peterb

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”