Advice needed

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
momo22au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Advice needed

Post by momo22au »

Afternoon Gents
can someone please tell me what this white stuff is growing on all my plants and how to get rid of it.
thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Advice needed

Post by shibui »

Your photo is very small but I think I can see mealy bugs also known as woolly aphid. They are little sap suckers that grow something like white cotton wool over them so they don't get eaten by birds.
If you don't have too many, Methylated spirits dabbed on with a cotton bud will kill them but more will probably hatch from eggs and from the ones you miss so you'll need to keep doing it for a few weeks at least. You can also spray metho over the plant to make the job a bit quicker. It is likely that some are also living on the roots under the soil so it is hard to get to those.
If you are happy to use insecticide a systemic is more effective because it travels all through the plant so any bug sucking on it will die. You may need to follow up to kill any that hatch in the next couple of weeks. Confidor is one systemic insecticide. Defender Maxguard is another.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
momo22au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by momo22au »

Thanks again :tu:
kylemorgan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by kylemorgan »

Thanx, your response helped me too
I've made great personal alarm keychains that always help me to find my car key. Very useful thing!

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”