Promoting root growth

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Promoting root growth

Post by Daluke »

I’ve noticed that my trees have roots growing out of the bottom of the pots when on wooden benches that are moist.

Is this a way to promote more root growth in recently repotted trees? Trick the roots to grow further into the pots chasing moisture??
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Promoting root growth

Post by Boics »

Hi Daluke.

I've noticed that If roots are left to run plants/tree's will take up more moisture/nutrients and will grow faster.
Sometimes in Bonsai we don't want this (faster growth) as it may result in less refined growth, longer internodes, larger leaves etc.
This is why we generally put tree's that are in a more advanced stage in Bonsai pots.
The pots restrict growth that might be too vigorous and non-desirable.

On the flipside if you want to grow tree's faster one can always put them in the ground.
As an alternative (say mid way point) I've often left tree's that are in pots on top of soil, roots will grow from the pots into the soil which will promote more vigorous root growth (which often translates to tree growth too).
This mid way method works especially well with pots that are more open such as Colanders and Orchid pots etc.

I hope this helps?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Promoting root growth

Post by treeman »

Daluke wrote:I’ve noticed that my trees have roots growing out of the bottom of the pots when on wooden benches that are moist.

Is this a way to promote more root growth in recently repotted trees? Trick the roots to grow further into the pots chasing moisture??
You won't get '''more'' root growth as such. You will get extension of the escaped roots. Just as with branches, the more one root grows the less it's neighbours grow.
Mike

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”