Azalea styling pruning advice

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Azalea styling pruning advice

Post by bonsaeen »

Hi guys,

So I consider this my first bonsai but as always my impatience took over and I put it in the pot today. I cut a couple of branches to give it a sort of twin trunk look. What i want to ask is the branches and specially foliage seems to be at the top so is that the way its suppose to be on azalea or can i do something about it?

Should i wore the thinner branches up the top too! I have only wired the main branches at the moment?

Some advise on how to improve please?
Thanks
BE9EFAC9-A3D0-4538-AA2C-B12E6FB0BF1E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Azalea styling pruning advice

Post by kcpoole »

Cut back hard, Azalea will readily backbud on old wood so no fear there.
I always cut back to 2 leaves if the newish shoots are not too long, otherwise cut back past to shorten and then regrow the branch with better ramification.

I only leave 2 branchlets at a junction. Cut out the middle shoot to leave 2 shoots only otherwise reverse taper will be the result.

For this tree, each of the lower branches, cut back everything but the first 2 smaller branches, then cut each of them back to 1/2 the length of the first section. Then wire them all out flatter

ps, You should have come and seen my Demo on Sunday, How to prune and maintain Azaleas :lol:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaeen »

Thanks Ken. I didnt know there was a demo lol not part of any society right now bit i take more experimental approach but im starting to think that might not be the best as I have killed a few trees. Just yesterday i found that when repotting i should not take out all the soil like i bave been doing and then wondering why the trees go so weak.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Just yesterday i found that when repotting i should not take out all the soil like i bave been doing and then wondering why the trees go so weak.
With most trees there is no problem removing all the soil. In some cases it is important to do it. I suspect there is some other issue that is causing your trees to be weak after repotting.
Clubs are a great way to learn. Members can alert you to pitfalls before the problems occur and you will generally learn so much from demonstrations, guest speakers and just talking to other members.

Azaleas are similar to other plants. They will try to grow if you allow it. Pruning will force more buds and better branching.
Ken has already told you there is no problem with cutting azaleas. They will sprout from below any pruning cut no matter how old the branch is so you can prune azaleas fearlessly to get whatever shape you want. Wire and bend gently because branches can be brittle.
They love to grow many shoots so thinning out where there are lots of branches is important. If it looks too bare after thinning shorten the remaining branches and they will all sprout many new shoots to fill the spaces.
Trim new azalea shoots several times over summer - whenever they grow long. That will give lots of new shoots that can flower the following spring.
Azalea flowers start to develop at the end of summer for the following spring so you need to stop pruning about Feb or March depending on your area if you want flowers. This azalea has small leaves so I guess it is 'saotome' which does not flower much. It is grown for the foliage so you don't need to worry when you prune that one.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JR_J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples, Flowering Trees, Satsuki, Natives
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: YVBS, BSV, VNBC

Post by JR_J »

Hi bonsaeen,

Since you're in Melbourne I'd like to invite you to our "last Saturday of the month workshop", which is the day after tomorrow at NO OBLIGATION!!!

We're the Yarra Valley Bonsai Society - http://www.yarravalleybonsai.org.au - check out our website where you'll find all the details re location etc. The workshop is from 1:00pm - 4:30pm in Mt Evelyn. Bring your azalea along and I'm happy to help and give you some advise on what to do from there on!

Hope to see you there :fc:, cheers
Rudi
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaeen »

Thanks Rudi. I have actually been there once and i remember you helped me with my Maple tree and I would love to come again but it is a bit of a drive for me coming from Glenroy. But i must say I met some very nice and helpful people there so Thank you :)

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”