Trees outside all year long

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Trees outside all year long

Post by bonsaeen »

Hi All,

I have only been into bonsai for a year now and still learning the basics. One thing I have noticed is that some of my trees like figs and maples Grow ver slow. I have recently got azaleas too and I always leave my trees in the small townhouse backyard that I rent. I know dofferemt trees like different environmemts and depending on season you have to leave them inside sometimes and save some from the constant rakn we get in Victoria and low temperatures.

So the question is should I get some basic greenhouse from bunnings or something or just move trees in garage if its raining etc? Do you leave your trees outside all the time unprotected? Amd do you think it has a major impact on trees?

Thanks
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Trees outside all year long

Post by Matthew »

Mate
Leaving trees outside year round exposed to the elements is best. Rain is rarely a issue in vic as really we don't get several days of heavy rain in a row like parts of NSW and QLD can experience.
The cold weather in Melbourne i would not worry about. Deciduous species and some conifers need a dormant period for health otherwise will go backwards.
Unless u getting frost etc only the figs may benefit from a glasshouse etc
Heat in summer can be more of a issue so placement and watering are key factors when it starts to warm up
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

I'm with Matt, outside all year round depending on where about in Melbourne you are?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Bonsaeen,
Absolutely outdoors for the whole year. If by Melbourne you mean CBD or inner suburbs then I doubt very much you experience any real frost issues so no need to be too concerned if that is the case. Maybe any species that are more likely to suffer in colder months (ficus etc..) could be placed in "warmer" outdoor spaces like near the house where they get some residual heat benefit. I live in inner suburban Melbourne and my trees all stay out all year (including ficus) with no issues. If anything, the hot weather (with wind, extra watering etc..) is more of an issue for me than the cold/rain.
Just my :2c: , given I live in Melbourne I thought it might be helpful.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaeen »

Thanks All. Yes, I am in inner suburbs so I won't worry about it too much now. May be will do something for a couple of figs I have. Thanks again :)
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Bonsai outside all year round with the exception of frost tender species like ficus in cold areas. Inner Melbourne should not get cold enough to worry ficus though.
If you have problems with mix staying too wet in winter look seriously at the potting mix you are using. modern well drained mix should not cause any problems even with weeks of rain.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaeen »

Thanks Shibui. I use a perlite, zeolite, pumice and bark mix but I have recently realized that I did not strain it properly before use which I have done with my last few trees and it seems to be alot better now in terms of drainage. If its really hot I even have to water some trees twice.
macca66
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by macca66 »

Outside.
I’m with Ryceman, the bloody Northerly’s where I am in the Moonee Valley cause more grief. I face absolutely East-West and my trees get full morning sun and are then generally sheltered by the time the bastard 35+ days kick in.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”