Diseased JBP

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
seephil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Diseased JBP

Post by seephil »

kez wrote:I don’t know why you 2 are arguing,

I may disagree with some of Mike’s ideas on design, but I listen when he advises on how to grow and maintain trees,

Why?

Because he has one of the best collections of anybody on this forum, and they largely (possibly totally, I don’t know) his work, and some have been in training for a very long time.

I can’t say the same for kcar, as you haven’t posted much of your work, but from the early stuff you have posted you also seem to know what you are doing, maybe both of you could collaborate to contribute positively with your combined knowledge?

Or maybe as I see that mike seems to have dropped the quarrel perhaps you could as well?

It’s crap that one of the most active threads of recent times on here is largely so due to bickering
Well said Kez.

As someone who recently joined this forum, I’ve observed a few things. The good and the bad comes with any forums.
In this particular case, I believe there is a BIGGER underlying lesson to learn here... which is to know your plants/trees. We can all give advice based on what we have experienced and learnt throughout the years. Everything from the position that it’s in to the watering requirements.

But what I can’t fault is their passion. Both TM and KCAR were adamant that they were right. With any advice given in life it’s up to us to make the final decision.

Just my two cents worth. Sorry everyone if you think it’s a rant...
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Oh no :o seems I've rocked community boat - thought this was a forum? So sorry to anyone that has been offended by my "bickering" views, especially Mr Treeman.
To save a "Charlie Green" witch hunt from now happening, I'll now just go back & lurk with the other 8600 or so, inactive community members here.
This way you all can definitely just "Keep Calm...." :crybye: .
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Post by kez »

Good one mate
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Post by kez »

And in case you missed it, my comment about it being crap that one of the few 4 page threads in recent months was mostly bickering was in relation to the largely inactive community you plan on now joining
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

kez wrote:Good one mate
kez wrote:And in case you missed it, my comment about it being crap that one of the few 4 page threads in recent months was mostly bickering was in relation to the largely inactive community you plan on now joining
Ahh c'mon Kez - you wouldn't be the one now bickering would you? :whistle:
Too funny! :clap:
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

Just remember that words on a web forum are words. Unless littered with dozens of exclamation points, underlined passages and capital letters, it is dangerous to assume that back and forth commentary is “bickering”. A forum is a place for discussion. Some people will sugar coat their discussion and others are more direct to get their point across clearly.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:
Well I've printed & laminated my copy just in time.
I have a newly re-potted tree (2-3), its a water loving quince (5-6), a small one in a big pot (3-4), which is planted in a coarse mix (5-6). It's not too healthy, but not too bad (4-5) because I may have over fertilised it accidently (6).
So if I carry the 1, the hitchhikers guide to watering must then = 42?
:lol: Good one kcar!

If you have recently repotted a not too healthy but not to bad, small quince into a big pot with coarse mix and over-fertilized it, You have made many mistakes, you probably have not grown potted plants before, and you need to go back to the beginning! As for watering it, I prescribe 6 for 2 days then 4-5. :lol:
Mike
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Well, I am sure that this was all incredibly useful and instructive for the OP, who I might add gave up at page 2 of 6 (so far)...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

I can’t see a post implying they gave up. The lack of posts from them since means nothing. Probably nursing the tree back to health and proving the skeptics here wrong that it’s dead. I hope I’m wrong, would be a delight to see it come back from that severe condition.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

----children!---stop this nonsense or I'll have to send you to your room ---- :whistle:
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

tgward wrote:----children!---stop this nonsense or I'll have to send you to your room ---- :whistle:
That’s it! Christmas is cancelled, turning this car around!
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

I hope it survives, i think it probably won't, but i HOPE it does.....that about covers it :tounge:
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Beano wrote:I can’t see a post implying they gave up. The lack of posts from them since means nothing. Probably nursing the tree back to health and proving the skeptics here wrong that it’s dead. I hope I’m wrong, would be a delight to see it come back from that severe condition.
Beano, I meant that they appear to have given up on the 'discussion', not the tree, which isn't surprising.

For my part, I had a Juni which had a severe set back (but not this bad) and it has taken 12 months to coax it, slowly and reluctantly, back almost to full health. So, it can be done even though the tree looks like it is done with this mortal plane, but I am not too hopeful for this JBP.

Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Nate.bonsai wrote:
Beano wrote:I can’t see a post implying they gave up. The lack of posts from them since means nothing. Probably nursing the tree back to health and proving the skeptics here wrong that it’s dead. I hope I’m wrong, would be a delight to see it come back from that severe condition.
Beano, I meant that they appear to have given up on the 'discussion', not the tree, which isn't surprising.

For my part, I had a Juni which had a severe set back (but not this bad) and it has taken 12 months to coax it, slowly and reluctantly, back almost to full health. So, it can be done even though the tree looks like it is done with this mortal plane, but I am not too hopeful for this JBP.

Good to read that it can be done! I’m prejudiced against evergreens, so I’d be pretty quick to give up based on past experiences. Yes, I do believe you could be right that OP has left the discussion.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”