Swamp Cypress Air layer Advice

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Swamp Cypress Air layer Advice

Post by matty-j »

Hey AB

If I place an air layer on a swampy now, would I have to wait until spring to remove it?

Cheers
Matt
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh
SteveW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples, cork oaks
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Wauchope

Re: Swamp Cypress Air layer Advice

Post by SteveW »

Having had a swamp cypress air layer heal over, i recommend putting wire around the top part of the ring bark.

I expect it will root quickly, so next spring should be fine. If it has just calussed when you de-airlayer it, cut the edge of the callus and relayer it for a while longer. For example, it took 2 attempts to layer a cork oak.

Also, i prefer to use a pot around the layer rather than a moss filled plastic bag. More room for roots, easy to keep moist, and no time pressure to separate the layer from the tree.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Time to get roots will depend on a lot of factors - climate, vigour of the parent, water and food availability, technique, etc so it is hard to give a definitive answer. Swampies are strong and quick growers so you may have enough roots to separate the layer at the end of autumn but, of course it won't grow until next spring anyway.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matty-j »

Thanks for the feedback, I will need to do the spag and bag option because its a horizontal branch on a large tree so the pot may not be a viable option.

Ill put it on in the next few days and hopefully it will be good to remove sometime in autumn.

Cheers
Matt
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh
SteveW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SteveW »

Fitting a plastic pot to a branch is easy. A picture would be better than the long story below, but it is easier than taking a photo of one i have like this, then resizing the pic to post it.

Cut an L shaped slot down the side. The bottom of the L lines up with the bottom of the branch at the level you want it in the pot. Then cut a square out of the L the size of the branch and fairly high up the pot.

The L with a square cut out of it looks like a lower case b. The branch goes through the hole in the b.

This leaves the rim of the pot complete, keeping the soil in the pot.

Depending on the angle of the branch, you may need a matching hole on the othe side of the pot. Attach the pot to the branch with some wire or plastic tape.

If you use an irrigation system, put a spray in the pot.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

As long as it doesn't dry out, I was under the impression that you could take cuttings of swampies up to a 20 cent coin size branch :lost:

Got a photo of the branch/tree you plan to layer?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matty-j »

No I don't have a photo, but the branch is probably 100mm thick..... Its a very big tree. I work for a cemetery and the canopy needs to be lifted so it doesn't damage any monuments so I thought why not do a layer before I have to cut it off!
― Vincent van Gogh
SteveW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SteveW »

Just do it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. The longer you can leave it on the better your chances.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”