Selecting Cuttings

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Reklaw
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Selecting Cuttings

Post by Reklaw »

Hi Team,

Just after some advice on selecting appropriate cuttings to propagate.

Its a Jacaranda (...im pretty sure... :reading: ). I have permission to chop what i see fit.
Jacaranda.jpg
Where the red lines are is where i am thinking of cutting.

Is this feasible or am I dreaming? :fc:

Appreciate any assistance!

Andrew.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Selecting Cuttings

Post by Beano »

I’ve tried hardwood jacaranda cuttings before and they always shoot but then died back. I’ve never tried green cuttings though. Mine were constantly interfered with too, so impact on success would have been likely.

I wouldn’t do a forked cutting, every time I’ve tried a forked hardwood cutting I get shoots on one branch and not the other. The energy will be diverted up the stronger of the two in my opinion and the other dies back, then you have to chop it later but only once any roots formed are strong enough not to break with the sawing action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beano on February 18th, 2018, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reklaw
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Selecting Cuttings

Post by Reklaw »

Hey Beano,

Thanks for your experience. Given the size of the tree, I think ill just experiment. Hardwood cuttings and Green. Got nothing to loose! :yes:
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

Good luck!! They will shoot quickly, I think I had one shoot in 5 days once.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Looks more like a Poinsciana. They have compound leaves. Where you have indicated with the thicker red line, 2nd from the right, is on the leaf stem. The slight bulge behind the line is the place where the leaf attaches to the tree. Cutting there will never give you roots.

You may have some luck cutting at the other places, but you may have more success with and better result growing from seed. Either way, it won't be an easy subject for bonsai.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Reklaw
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reklaw »

dansai wrote:Looks more like a Poinsciana. They have compound leaves. Where you have indicated with the thicker red line, 2nd from the right, is on the leaf stem. The slight bulge behind the line is the place where the leaf attaches to the tree. Cutting there will never give you roots.

You may have some luck cutting at the other places, but you may have more success with and better result growing from seed. Either way, it won't be an easy subject for bonsai.
Hi dansai,

Thanks for your input. The purple flowers the tree produces says jacaranda to me :lost: . As I said, I'll give it a go. I have nothing to loose and only experience and information to gain.

As for it not being an easy subject for bonsai; if I wanted an easy hobby I'd have chosen rock propergation. 100% strike rate! I've noticed a lot of people on here are quick to dismiss a plant as bonsai as either it doesn't "fit the profile of 18th century bonsai definition or characteristics" or because they've had failed attempts and rubbish the ideas of particular plants. Bonsai is certainly not a quick result process. Paitence and persistence is the key. It's an evolving art. 60 years ago people weren't using Australian natives for bonsai! Those who suggested the idea at first I'd dare say we're laughed at were the brunt of many jokes. Evolution...
marionreid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by marionreid »

Thanks a lot for your advice! It is very useful. I will use it next time
Hello to everybody here!
Pierre
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig, Tropicals, Bougies, flowering trees
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Pierre »

Hi Andrew.

This is interesting, i would have said like Dansai, royal ponciana. The reason being those leaflets are more toundish and each "leaf branch" ( for lack of better word) is more pointy on the Jacaranda...
Might be a variation. .?
Regards,
Pierre

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”