Dropping temperature nights??

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

Dropping temperature nights??

Post by Joe.sab »

Hi guys,
As you all know that the temperature here in Sydney dropping below 10 degrees and in mid of winter will be below 5 degrees on nights sometimes, I’m wondering what you do with your trees, just keep them outside or you need to protect them from this cold weather I know the Deciduous trees they stay in this weather but how about pines, junipers, figs, ficus, the ever green trees ?? :lost:
Please share your experiences.
Cheers
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Dropping temperature nights??

Post by benbonsai »

Most of your trees will be fine
Ficus will need to be protected from frost
Slow and steady wins the race
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Unless you are growing tropicals or some other variety that doesn't tolerate cool temps it shouldn't be an issue. For the usual suspects like Maple, Pine, Elm etc 5-10C is no issue at all; i'm in Melbourne and i leave all of mine outside in full exposure without issue.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: Joe.sab,
I had a bad fungal attack on one of my old fig trees last winter (never experienced before.)
Lost some main branches & almost killed the tree - I'm not risking it this winter so it's now inside for a few months.
I'm in Newcastle & all my other trees stay outside without a problem.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

The colder the better. Alot of trees particularly most deciduous and some conifers need a extended below zero cold period for a optimum rest period. All mine stay outside except tropicals. My privet will lose all leaves and get frost all over it but comes back fine each year.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

the temperature here in Sydney dropping below 10 degrees and in mid of winter will be below 5 degrees on nights sometimes,
:o :o :o
I have had a frost already and min temp will go down to below 0C many nights in winter and -7C occasionally.
Last winter was particularly cold but all of my trees live outside open to all these elements except ficus. I have not had any temperature related damage to any trees here but had several pots fracture from the below 0C temps.
Any tree from temperate areas (most of the bonsai we grow) will survive much lower temperatures than this.

You only need to worry about tropical and sub- tropical species. Ignore advice from northern growers. In Aust you do not need to change fertiliser or put trees into winter storage. We have more trouble with cool climate species not getting cold enough rather than some getting too cold.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

Thanks guys for sharing information i was worried because of the information on the internet it’s just confusing but this is a Relieve that I don’t have to get my trees inside in the nights :palm: that would be headache. I have two ficus and two figs I’ll put them inside from now on.
Thanks all
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Joe.sab wrote: I have two ficus and two figs
Hi Joe - this would mean you have four Ficus (or four figs) as "Fig" is the more common name for Ficus.
I'm thinking you may have a few different species of fig trees in your Ficus collection?
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:
Joe.sab wrote: I have two ficus and two figs
Hi Joe - this would mean you have four Ficus (or four figs) as "Fig" is the more common name for Ficus.
I'm thinking you may have a few different species of fig trees in your Ficus collection?

:palm: thanks mate for this hehe i was thinking they’re deferent, i got just two before bought them a year ago, the other two small just bought them they’re little ruby, I’m still learning about bonsai it’s like to many information :reading: but it’s worth it here in aus bonsai you people are great helpful and kind share with your information, I started bonsai 5 years ago but not all the time i get free to read about bonsai as othe commitments “ studies” .
Thank you all
Last edited by Joe.sab on May 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Yes, I am in suburban Melbourne and mine are fine outside (but I have no tropical species). Indeed, I think it may beneficial for trees like Japanese maples. :? I believe (and I may be wrong) that cold (but not freezing) nights is one of the factors that help maples change colour. My young maple forests are looking good with the current crop of cold nights and mild days.

and... on an unrelated fact - cold nights are great for my cymbidium orchids; I think cool nights help with flower spike production. I think. :lost:

Finally - and on another un-related item, I just noticed Benbonsai's avatar on this thread and :imo: it is the club house leader for avatars. Yoda and Bonsai in one. Well played Benbonsai! :hooray:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”