Shade Cloth

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
john tapner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Study Group

Re: Shade Cloth

Post by john tapner »

I use 50% green with treated lattice on the western side to help protect from the hot summer NW winds. Part of my shade house has a Vergola roof with rotating slats that I can adjust as necessary, just allowing morning sun and by mid morning in shade. I use this regime in the hotter months and In winter it is fully open

John T
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by BB Brian »

does anyone have any pics of their shade cloth set up?
i had a temporary one put up last time but due to building a bigger bench, adding more and larger trees to the collection i will need another alternative this summer.

ideas of building one out of timber
building one out of pvc piping
using a gazebo - but possibly change the tarp like material to 50% shade cloth somehow
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Banong,
I'm in S.E. Qld, so we don't get the extreme heat some other places do, but the sun still tends to cook some of the plants in pots with too much sun exposure. Here are a couple of pics of my set-up. In winter the sun's angle is low enough to shine in under the shadecloth (75%) but in summer the pots are shaded. With the irrigation set-up the more sensitive plants also get misted several times a day. The shadecloth covering the front of the corner shelf can be rolled up like a blind.
Hope this helps you. Cheers, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GerardPS
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by GerardPS »

Hello, i recommended to buy a non-waterproof sun shade sail. Its more breathable: the wind and rain could pass it. I think its better by a clear colour like white or cream. Thank you.
jayarnold78
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by jayarnold78 »

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy a shade sail for my garden, and I prefer it to be custom-made. Does anyone have recommendations for places where I can customize a shade sail to fit my specific needs? Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”