Jade Roots

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Jade Roots

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi All,
Today I re-potted an old small leaved jade plant that had been pot-bound for years, though not a bonsai. After washing the remaining soil off the roots I saw that it had been root-pruned before. (can't even remember where or when I obtained this plant) On closer examination I noticed that where the roots had been cut previously the new roots growing from the cut were growing from the cente of the root stump, not from the outer section near the "skin of the root. I thought this may be of interest to any-one growing jades as bonsai. Has anyone noticed this before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Jade Roots

Post by Max »

i think that was a cutting. I've never seen a seed. They grow in virtually anything . I have a couple that were left outside in the open last winter, the frost got to them which killed the "leaf" and frost bit the side of the trunks. When summer came i peeled the dead area off which adds so much character now. If you kill a jade take up fishing :lol: The outside "bark " is brown , the "vascular cambium" is jell like green, the inner "sap wood" is a mesh of fibers, this is where the roots are formed. Place the roots on a flat surface and hey presto within a year they bulk up to join the bark
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

I have seen this happen when the root rotted away due to water logging in winter and later on in summer the rotted part kind of formed a rounded callus from which numerous roots came forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks for the feedback, they are an amazing plant with those sort of survival mechanisms. I don't think it was a cutting, as the roots are like that for all the large older roots that were pruned. I did take a few cuttings to propagate tho', and I now have a good start to an "instant" bonsai. I've been wanting to do that for a while :shifty: , but my better 1/2 didn't want me to.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”