Advice for a newbie

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Advice for a newbie

Post by Ryszil »

Hi all,

I had this posted in the cafe and realised I should probably be asking here for advice so here goes. *** edit, I retook the photos, sorry guys they were fine on my computer

I have 3 trees at the moment that live outside and get watered (and now recently) misted each day.

The first tree I got is this juniper I bought pretty much as is from a nursery
Juniper 180909.JPG
Juniper 180909.JPG
Juniper3 180909.JPG
It was mentioned that it is looking a bit leggy (something that never occurred to me until then, I guess I just thought about it growing up and now out). I guess I have probably been pinching out a bit too much. It seems healthy enough though with lots of new growth.

I also have this japanese cedar (?)
J_Cedar 180909.JPG
J-cedar2 180909.JPG
J-cedar3 180909.JPG
J-cedar4 180909.JPG
I got this thinking there was plenty to do (perfect for a week off work). I had read a bit before hand and watched lots of youtube videos but once I started I realised I really have no idea where to go. I hope I haven't made any drastic errors here already. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated, sorry I'm not being more specific I guess I was thinking of an informal upright maybe?

And finally this chinese elm
C_Elm 180909.JPG
C_Elm2 180909.JPG
c_elm3 180907.jpg
This I was thinking of leaving alone for a while and just cutting back here and there to maintain shape. I havent cut anything yet, I read or saw somewhere to wait until there is some hardened wood and then cut just past the leaves.

I guess one of the issues I find is that most of the pictures and videos I have seen so far show much more developed trees and I find it difficult to visualise what mine can become at my level of experience. Sorry if I am asking questions that has been asked a thousand times already. I am reading this forum as much as possible but it can be a little difficult to get enough time with the kids. I have enquired about joining a club but cant attend the meetings at least for the foreseeable future. I am looking into a beginners workshop in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again guys for any help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ryszil on September 9th, 2018, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: Advice for a newbie

Post by tgward »

difficult to see with photos sideways---also remember trees are 3d and need a variety of back and occasionally front branches-spend some time finding info on branch placement somewhere here or on the net.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”