Edges of chinese elm turning brown/black

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Edges of chinese elm turning brown/black

Post by Ryszil »

Evening,

Once again I turn to the ausbonsai community for help. The leaves of my chinese elm are turning brown/black in a lot of places (see below)
IMG_2317.jpg
It is as is from the nursery, I have watered daily and only just yesterday applied liquid dynamic lifter (approx 20ml in a 9lt watering can) poured over the whole tree as well as a couple of others. I lifted it out of the pot and found the soil to be quite damp, soggy is probably a better term. Have I over watered or overdone it with the dynamic lifter? I'm also concerned that several of the leaves appear to be sheared as can be seen in the picture.

I have begun searching on google and this forum but as any concerned parent I'd like to sort this quickly before it gets too bad.

Thanks as always

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Edges of chinese elm turning brown/black

Post by robb63 »

Hi Russ
If its soggy soil then daily watering is too much for the soil mix its in
The finger test is a good one before watering.
Poke finger an inch into surface to feel if damp. Back of the hand works well too
I find nursery soil mixes hold water much longer than free draining bonsai mix most of us use
Usually I will water nursery stock about every third day at this time of year when left in their soil mix.
If in a bonsai pot about every other day until changed or repotted into a free draining mix
Very important for trees to dry a bit between watering. Damp is good too dry and too wet both bad.
Hope that helps a bit

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”