Grafted Maple Cultivar ground layer

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
fishnfreak
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Grafted Maple Cultivar ground layer

Post by fishnfreak »

As the title suggests, i have found some nice cultivars of the Japanese Maple at the local big green shed.
They are all Grafted onto rootstock, and even though they're just being used as garden plants, id like to ground layer it to produce a wide nebari above the point of graft.

Is this doable using the tourniquet method with a circular sheet of plywood, as i have done successfully with pot grown Tridents, to constrict the trunk over the next couple if growing seasons?

thanks for advice given!ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Grafted Maple Cultivar ground layer

Post by shibui »

It should certainly be possible to layer JM but while many varieties root easily, some do not seem to co-operate.
There are also some that do not seem grow strong roots so when not grafted they are quite slow to grow and may not thrive. I can't give any guidance as to which will do well and which may not.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Why don't you just get the real thing from a place like Maples X Mail http://www.maplesxmail.com.au/and then you can forego the layering.

admittedly the mailing season is over, but the nursery is apparently pretty special, and prices have always seemed pretty good.

oops, you're in SA....soz... maybe next year
Last edited by melbrackstone on October 15th, 2018, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I've had Sango Kaku on it's own roots and they do well as long as they are morning sun afternoon shade. They seem to be one of the more sensitive varieties from my (limited) experience.

I also had Osakazuki on its own roots and they were quite slow growing. Possibly this was just my one but i ended up giving it away to focus on my more advanced trees so i can't say if it picked up as it developed.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”