Swamp cypress

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Pants404
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Swamp cypress

Post by Pants404 »

Having been interested in a swamp cypress for a few years now, I have come across my first chance to get a sizeable example. The typical pyramid formal upright is a very nice bonsai but this may be great for an old, weathered, and unique plant.
I am yet to work with anything of this size, or price for that matter, so any suggestions or opinions would be well received.
I am wondering if letting it go for a few years would improve the taper from the original trunk to where the first leader had taken over, or if dropping the two lowest branches would be required for that. That is assuming people think it will improve the shape.
There is a lot of scarring down one face, and on a side which would have gone to a nice root. I have never done carving before so that would be a challenge for the future.
I am yet to purchase the plant, as I am still deciding what I would do with it before I do, so if anybody in Adelaide knows of a better example let me know :pImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
jonathanv
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Oak
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Swamp cypress

Post by jonathanv »

I'm here to get the ball rolling on suggestions!!

I'm a novice/hobbyist who reads quite a bit, thinks a lot about my trees and then performs the task

I always read/hear that you are buying the trunk. This tree seems to have a nice trunk, good looking base and my oh my have a look at that new leader. It takes years to grow a leader like that. This tree is very much along its bonsai journey.

What I would personally do is buy the tree, mildly carve it: not everything needs to be hollow, cut everything back except the leader and let it grow.

How much is it?

I've attached a photo of a tree for sale on gumtree: search swamp cypress. I think it looks pretty darn good and should be attainable for you in just a couple seasons
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Pants 404,
Just Google "swamp cypress" and have a look at how they grow naturally in the swamps in the U.S. I'm sure you'll be inpired to buy that tree immediately and start styling it. It looks to be a good size and that big scar would make a great feature. Swampies are very vigorous growers, just water all the time, fertilize regularly and stand the pot in a tray of water. It doesn't matter what you cut them back to, even just a bare trunk, they'll respond by popping buds out all over the trunk and/or branches. They are a great beginner's tree.
Cheers, Frank.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Pants404
Swampies are great trees to bonsai. Very tough and respond well to bonsai techniques
I think your tree looks like its got good potential for a larger size bonsai
All the branches can safely be cut off including most of the leader. They will grow back in no time and better.
My first move with this tree would be root pruning some time after the leaves have dropped
Then pot up into a wide container like a big bonsai training pot or similar to get the roots flaring outwards
Depending what you find and how the roots develop may change your best viewing angle
Then again it all depends what you want from it, an ASAP bonsai or the best you can make it with time
The potential is there in the trunk and the best design will show itself after you look at it long enough
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

A contrarian view here, I admit I only have a two year old seedling for a swampie so take my comments with a pinch of salt. Have researched a fair bit and if I was to buy one and I had the typical swampie bonsai in mind I would not go to buy this one mainly because Of the large gash on one side. However if you are thinking of a no traditional swampie with a battered look well then it comes down to the price for it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pants404
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pants404 »

If I were to go for the standard formal upright I would be considering something with only a very tapered and buttressed trunk, so this will never be able to make that.
The only reason I haven't already bought the tree is because of the price, but I definitely want it. The guy is asking the same as the Gumtree swampie that was posted. I would have scoffed at the price completely if I hadn't been to the adelaide bonsai show on the weekend. There were many pieces of pre-bonsai stock there that were priced a lot higher than I had expected.
As I mentioned I have been looking at these for years and I love how wild they can look in the swamps

Below is an image I came across that I really like. Image

http://www.ry2tree2.com/2017/04/pbm-nat ... s.html?m=1
Last edited by Pants404 on October 17th, 2018, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hi Pants,

It looks like good and interesting stock to me. I am sure you - supported by ideas and inspiration from this forum and your local Bonsai club - could craft a wonderful Bonsai over time.

You seem to have the same internal debate that I do from time to time. The cost of buying advanced stock and/or a potentially excellent tree. The key word for me being ’potential’ ... especially in the hands of someone learning their craft.

I am generally afraid of spending plenty and then flushing it down the toilet by either killing it or stuffing it up. And simply, I don’t have the cash to risk the purchase.

That said - my propensity to buy more expensive stock is increasing with my skills and I guess, how do we move forward without advancing our skills through the challenges and opportunities available by using advanced stock?

Catch 22.

Good luck. If you like it, can perhaps negotiate an agreeable price and can afford it - give it a crack.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Pants404
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pants404 »

I have no doubts that I can keep a swamp cypress alive. I feel there is potential in this plant for me, even if I just hold on to I for a year or three without doing much to it until I have more confidence. I will have another look at it next week. I may even come home with it.
Thanks for the encouraging replies

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Pants404
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pants404 »

Well I went with it and brought the plant home.
First bit of news and some questions..
I noticed multiple spots or a dark orange sap appearing on a small branch but thought nothing of it, only to notice the leaves past the spots were drying. I removed the affected area because I didn't know what it was and didn't want to risk anything.
I lifted some bark to see what was going on to find it looked a bit rotten, then I spotted a tunnel which lead me to a little grub that I have never encountered before.
Is this something that a systemic pesticide would take care of?
Is a dark sap spot an indicator of these?
Given an otherwise healthy tree with no visible signs of anything should I have any worry at all?
Thanks in advanceImageImageImage

Sent from my TA-1052 using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There are lots of beetles that lay eggs that hatch into wood boring beetles. I have not seen any that eat swamp cypress before but not surprised that some do.
Not certain about systemic insecticide because in theory the insecticide should travel in the sap ie in sapwood and bark so if grubs are eating heartwood they may not be affected. Systemic insecticide won't hurt the tree and may even kill some unseen lodgers.
Usual signs of borers are 'frass' (grub poo and sawdust) below the entry hole. Death of branches only occurs if the grub eats a circle round the branch. More often they only eat up into the stem and don't kill it.
If you identify a borer hole a squirt of petrol or metho into the hole usually kills the grub (no don't light a match :palm: fumes are what kills the bug). Inserting a wire will often kill the grub provided the hole is straight enough for the wire to reach the target.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pants404
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pants404 »

Thank you so much for the Info. You are a great wealth of knowledge on this forum and I appreciate it a lot.
Having read up on borers after your response I found there are many different kinds and some specific to swamp cypresses in the us.
I have hit my plants with confidor and will keep an eye out for signs of any more borers

Sent from my TA-1052 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pants404 on November 1st, 2018, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”