I have no idea about Bonsai...

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Reddog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

I have no idea about Bonsai...

Post by Reddog »

G'day. I have just inherited (he passed away last week) some 50 + Bonsais from my brother. To be realistic I had to give most away and now have what I considered, at the time, to be the 13 strongest, healthiest, managable trees to nuture. I have no idea as to what is required to keep them alive and several are showing strong signs of stress. eg the outer leaves are browning, moss has died, 1 looks/is dead. I need all the help I can get, live near Yeppoon Qld and don't want to loose what my brother has spent years growing with a passion that only he had. Please, some out there help me, I don't want to loose them as well. I don't even know what type of tree they are and I haven't started looking for the books my brother owned or where they are as I wasn't the person packing up his house full of furniture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: I have no idea about Bonsai...

Post by DangerousDave »

Hi Reddog

Sorry about your brother. Bonsai are a pretty special thing to inherit I think, so welcome to bonsai.

One of the best ways to learn and get assistance would be to join a club.

I understand Mackay Bonsai are active at the moment - but no doubt a bit far for you

https://www.facebook.com/Mackay-Bonsai- ... 622294865/

Not sure if Rockhampton has an active club at the moment. Have a google or a look through this forum

In the short term you need mostly only worry about watering. In this heat, they will likely need very frequent watering. I’m in Townsville and water most of mine every day at the moment. There will be information about watering in the wiki part of Ausbonsai. Just let the soil mix dry a bit between waterings. Waterlogged soil is not good for most trees, as I recently posted about nearly losing one of mine to such conditions.

I’m rambling a bit, and a novice myself anyway. A club will undoubtedly be a great way to get help if you can get to one. Keep the water up while you learn from whatever means works for you.
Dave
Last edited by DangerousDave on October 28th, 2018, 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Sorry to read about your brother. Are you on facebook? There's a Bonsai Central Qld group there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/351185855045476/

There's also this place. https://www.truelocal.com.au/business/b ... ockhampton

You only need to contact someone from either place and explain your problem and no doubt there'll be white knights galloping to your rescue in no time... Or at least I hope so!
Reddog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Reddog »

G'day DangerousDave and melbrackstone (and others who are out there in Bonsai land).
Nice to meet you both. Cheers for the 'welcome to Bonsai' and a huge ''Thank you !!'' is straight from the heart. I did the google thing first and this site is where it sent me. I have also found info about a 'Club' in Rockhampton there as well but it seems that I missed the boat by a week for their monthly meeting. Oh well, things could be worse hey.
As it turns out I am starting a shutdown in Mackay this Wed the 31st for 3-4 wks so I will contact them asap. Facebook.... here is an issue I didn't think I would have. I was on it about 5yrs ago and deleted my self entirely from it and now they wont accept me joining again. Oh well again hey. In saying that, I immediately followed your link DangerousDave and went straight to it???
I have just followed your link too melbrackstone, and have now got the Bonsai Central ph. no. ready to call. As fate would have it with this new job, I have to head to Rockhampton tomorrow for a Coal Board Medical so I will visit them in person while i'm in the big smoke.
As for the watering and all the advice given..... I will take all and run with it.

Thank you so much for your help and I will try to keep you posted as to how I am going in learning a new and fascinating hobby if that suits you both.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”