Advice in Perth

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
DustyRusty
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 10

Advice in Perth

Post by DustyRusty »

Hello,

Moved from Sydney to Perth about a year ago. Sold my collection in Sydney due to the difficulty of moving everything across the country. Ready to start up again. I’m the kind of grower who likes to turn a stump into a bonsai rather than begin with established trees. Would love to know where in Perth I could find good stock of interesting looking stumps and pre bonsai. Slightly different climate here too. Good species? Interested in trying an olive. Any Yamadori sites for this kind of thing? Other species that thrive here?

Thanks for your help!

DR
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Advice in Perth

Post by Ryszil »

G'day Dusty, welcome to Perth.

I'm only new to this so I wont be too helpful but I was at the Bonsai Society of WA on the weekend and I'm sure they mentioned something about Yamadori trips and such. The'yd be able to tell you straight out what species would be good, I'd go to one of their meetings I think they're the last Monday of every month. Where I am gets very windy so that rules Japanese Maples out. Junipers seem to go well but again I haven't had them long. Japanese boxwoods seem to go alright and there has been a ficus growing in the ground happily since before I moved in so I imagine they'd do well over here as a bonsai too. Aussie natives seem to do pretty well here and I think I heard it said on the weekend that these are some of the worst growing conditions for Azaleas in the world but it is possible

I hope this helps a bit, please if I have misinformed here please say so

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”