Good book recommendations

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tas natives
Bonsai Age: 2

Good book recommendations

Post by Brekel »

Hi - newbie here, although I've lurked on and off for a couple of years :)
There's lots of great info on here, but I'm also after a good book to act as a reference and give a good overview. I was wondering what you would recommend for someone starting out? Something that covers all the basics, and hopefully some more advanced stuff too. I don't mind how indepth it gets, as long as it also covers the basics.

A couple of books I've seen recommended are:

The Secret Techniques of Bonsai by Masakuni Kawasumi

Bonsai: Its Art, Science, History and Philosophy, by Deborah R. Koreshoff
(Older and out of print, but fairly readily available)

The second has over twice the number of pages, so I assume is more indepth? But may not be as up-to-date. However I assume the fundamentals are still the same, and a good place to start.

No doubt there's lots of other good books too.

Which of the above, or what alternatives, would you recommend and why?

Nothofagus-Melaleuca-Leptospermum-Lagarostrobos-Cedrus-Acer
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus

Re: Good book recommendations

Post by bonsaeen »

Hi Mate,

I am a noob myself and only started Jan last year 2017. I got a book called Bonsai by Peter Warren. Honestly, this is a very basic book. It talks about tools, styles, species and shows you how to create each style etc but overall a basic book with lots and lots of pictures. Every now and then I open it and look at pictures lol.

Since we are basically working with trees, I have found in some articles people suggesting to understand plant physiology/anatomy. So I searched for some books and really want to get Tree Anatomy Alex L. Shigo but I have not purchased it yet. I found another one called Plant Physiology by Lincoln Taiz and Eduardo Zeiger and honestly alot of the stuff I don't understand as this is chemistry and physics stuff but I still read it and I am finding that it makes little bit of sense. So my idea is to go through this one and then get the other book by Alex L Shigo but this gives you an appreciation of the complex systems these trees/plants really are.

After that I look for articles/tutorials online like Pruning techniques, ramification techniques etc and I find alot of useful information. I convert these articles to PDF and save on my phone/laptop. Sometimes I read them a few times to really understand the info presented. Also, recently saw this video by Neil Ryan which was shared by another member https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OanGfoSJDKE&t=368s and I found it to be very useful so may be will help you too.

Sorry but I don't know any of the other books you mentioned but I am sure they are good. All the best.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

G'day Brekel,

This post (see link below) notes a few books I like.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25419&hilit=+books

In addition, I picked up a paperback version of the Koreshoff book (that you reference in your post) recently and it is excellent.

Enjoy your reading.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brekel »

Thanks Bonsaeen and MJL. I'll check k out the books and links you mentioned.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

"Bonsai" by Kunio Kobayashi doesn't tell you how to do things, but has some lovely photos of bonsai to inspire you. "Penjing"by Zhao Qingquan gives a different perspective, and sets you thinking along different lines. "Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees" about Dan Robinson's approach to bonsai, mainly American yamadori, is also full of good images. Best of luck with the hunt!

Gavin
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brekel »

Thanks Gavin. Yeah, there's different aspects covered by different sorts of books.
Some cover techniques more, some cover plants in general, and some have beautiful, inspiring pictures! All are good and have their place. Inspirational pictures and ideas are always great.
Last edited by Brekel on December 21st, 2018, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothofagus-Melaleuca-Leptospermum-Lagarostrobos-Cedrus-Acer
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'd look at Bonsai Foundations by Stephen Cullum. It's been written recently, and contains up to date info on the sorts of things you'll read about here, potting media etc that you can find in Oz.

Plus it's easy going and yet packed with info.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”