Coleonema Album (White diosma)

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Kbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Coleonema Album (White diosma)

Post by Kbonsai »

Hi team,
New to all this but picked up this great Diosma from local nursery and hoping to Bonsai it (I’ve got the bug)!

Just wondering how I should approach the trunk and branches to start it? I’ve clipped the foliage back a little to get a better view. I picked this particular tree as it had the thickest trunk and I liked the several branches coming off. Not sure if this was right decision or not haha

Anyway here’s some pics and hopefully someone can guide me on which branches to keep or where to cut, been staring at it trying to decide for a few weeks now!

Thanks!
Karl

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: Coleonema Album (White diosma)

Post by tgward »

hello Jarrad first up is to find out how to care for this species--then I would start at the base and carefully remove some topsoil to see what is happening with the nebari - this will affect the initial style and design and what is removed from the top at first pruning. You may want to remove two or three of the four main branches to create an interesting trunkline--or keep them all for broom style--decision time
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

tgward wrote:hello Jarrad first up is to find out how to care for this species--then I would start at the base and carefully remove some topsoil to see what is happening with the nebari - this will affect the initial style and design and what is removed from the top at first pruning. You may want to remove two or three of the four main branches to create an interesting trunkline--or keep them all for broom style--decision time
OOPS looks like I changed your name to jarrad--apologies :palm:
Kbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Kbonsai »

Thanks so much tgward great advice. I think deep down I knew I just had to make a decision but never thought to reveal the roots more to see what’s going on there.

Yes after spotting it in the nursery I immediately ran a quick google search and came across some info which inspired me a bit hey. Seems to be quite a decent tree to bonsai.

http://www.capebonsaikai.co.za/index.ph ... Itemid=228

Will post some pics in here when I decide what to do haha

Cheers!
Karl or Jarrad, doesn’t matter xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”