Root over rock ficus

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Sambow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Root over rock ficus

Post by Sambow »

Hey Guys,
I'm wanting to try a few more root over rock bonsai with an assortment of Ficus species. I'm considering positioning the Ficus onto the tall stones, then wrapping the stone with toilet paper then aluminium foil. I'm planning on potting them up in in a blend of Scoria, sand, perlite and some Searle's potting mix.

I've got about 20 nice pieces of stone to play with and a mix of different Ficus species. I was planning on wrapping them up and them planting them in deep pots.

I live on the Gold coast and we have got another 6 weeks of good weather before it starts to get cooler.

Is it too late in the year to get these done this week?

Any suggestions on alternate techniques?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Root over rock ficus

Post by shibui »

I can only grow PJ figs down here. They grow great roots so you can probably put the tree on a rock even if the roots are not long enough to reach the bottom when it is wrapped up. As long as you can get water to the wrapped roots they should grow down the rock and into the mix below. This species quite happily grows on cliffs, brick walls and roofs, sometimes where they only have access to moisture immediately after rain. Very tough and well adapted to root over rock conditions.

Not sure what the toilet paper is for?
Figs are not known for throwing lateral roots quite as much as trident maple so you can even get away without wrapping with foil but I think it is still worthwhile.
Roots continue to thicken above ground so no need to keep it buried for years. Just enough so the ends of roots are in the mix.

Over time roots thicken dramatically so plan root placement. My original root over rock fig had too many roots and completely swallowed the rock. Not a fatal problem, just no longer root over rock but a very fat trunk fig (and don't try to saw through the lower trunk of that one)

Can't really offer any advice on timing for you up there. my gut feeling is that you should be able to prune and repot figs, at least PJ almost any time of year but it won't hurt to wait for warmer weather. You are now in bonsai - long term, not a sprint a few months will not matter.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sambow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Root over rock ficus

Post by Sambow »

Thanks Shibui

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”