Yamadori soil mixtures???

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
rockkcorful
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3

Yamadori soil mixtures???

Post by rockkcorful »

Hello I am looking to do some collecting when it starts get warmer and am trying to get the best run down possible to be prepared. I’m sure there are threads that I’ve been unable to find answering these questions so if there is a link that would be helpful!

Hopefully hunting banksia/casuarina/figs

What soil recipe will be the best mix for these trees to initially go into? and I have seen people mention soaking prior to the planting what is this?

Any other tips would be awesome!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Yamadori soil mixtures???

Post by shibui »

There are many that swear by soaking collected trees in a seasol solution for varying periods before potting the trees. I'm not one of them. All my collected trees do fine without wasting the resources and the added hassle of making a large batch of solution. Collected trees are top reduced a bit, roots cut back to fit the new pot, depending on species and potted straight into suitable pots. I usually shake off most of the field soil because I find it has a detrimental effect on trees in pots.

All my collected trees, and any that are dug from the grow beds are simply potted straight into my normal potting mix.
Olives, cotoneaster, privet, ash, pine from wild trees. Pines, maples, junipers, Chinese quince, banksia, melaleuca, leptospermum, Callistemon, Chinese elm and others from the grow beds. Callistemon, azalea an more from garden collections. All have done well on above techniques.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I haven't done a huge amount of collecting, but i tend to follow shibui's thoughts. I've not noticed dramatic differences with and without seasol/ similar products. If i do extensive root work on a healthy tree, I might water it after with it, but from collecting Banksia to Ginkgo I've had good success without any soaking in water, seasol or anything else.

If i tree was in such poor health that it might benefit from a seasol soak, then it shouldn't really be collected in the first place IMO
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
rockkcorful
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by rockkcorful »

Great Thankyou. The less wasted resources the better. As far as fertiliser goes for a collected tree should I wait a bit or add with new soil
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Ive been collecting alot of trees in the last 18 months. I find that as long as you provide good care afterwards the trees always recover. It also depends greatly on the health of the tree before you collect.
When i pot the trees up i just add some slow release fertilizer to the soil then give them a good watering. I liquid fertilise after afew weeks etc.

Good luck
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Traditionally no fert for a few months but osmocote has pushed that out the window now. My mix also has controlled release so all repotted trees get some fert as soon as the prills start releasing. I only add extra fert when good growth is happening and I'm confident there are new roots too.
note that new shoots is not always a sign of new roots. Many trees will bud and grow shoots up to 15cm using stored resources then wilt and die because they have no new roots to maintain water and food. Keep :fc: for several months depending on species.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”