Encouraging growth on lower branches

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Stevie_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Oz Natives
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Informal Workshop in Ipswich

Encouraging growth on lower branches

Post by Stevie_B »

G’day all,
It’s been a long time away from bonsai - 8 years growing kids instead of trees.
But I’m back trying to get my plants back in a bit of order.
I have a couple of figs that I’ve pretty much just chopped off the the branches half way. However now I can’t seem to get the lower branches to grow leaves. All the energy seems to be going to the top branches.
Could some offer any advice to assist? Do I keep trimming the higher branches for example?
Thanks so much.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Encouraging growth on lower branches

Post by shibui »

Many trees are apical dominant which just means the top grows much more than lower branches. It all makes sense when you think like a tree. Most trees are in a race to the top. To become the tallest tree in the forest so you don't get shaded out by other fast growing trees. They have adapted to put much more energy into top branches and less into redundant lower branches.

As growers we can work around this by pruning harder and more often at the top. Regular removal of growing tips near the top will convince the trees to divert more effort into lower branches as a backup plan.

Your figs are VERY long and skinny. I'd be chopping the trunks quite a lot lower and wire some side branches up as the new trunk.
If you want to keep the long, skinny trunk look just keep pruning the upper branches harder and more often until the lower branches start to develop more.
Also feed the trees heavily. Ficus really respond to fertilizer. Weekly applications of liquid fert is not too much when we water every day. Organic pellet fert is also good and I don't think it is possible to give figs too much organic fert.

Figs can thicken while growing in a small pot but the trunks will thicken a lot faster if you plant the trees into a larger pot for a few years. You need to decide if you want skinny 'bonsai' for many years or sacrifice 'bonsai' for a couple of years to get a better tree sooner.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stevie_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Oz Natives
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Informal Workshop in Ipswich

Re: Encouraging growth on lower branches

Post by Stevie_B »

Brilliant. Thanks heaps, and I don’t really want long skinny either, so your advice is gratefully received. 👍

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”