Field grown trident shibui style.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Field grown trident shibui style.

Post by shibui »

Here’s a quick pictorial tutorial on how I dig and prune trident maples from the grow beds.
Remember there are always other ways to develop bonsai. This is just a few of the ways I’ve come up with that seem to work well for me.
CH130003.JPG
I start by digging round the trunk to lift the root ball. In this case digging is relatively easy as I’ve previously dug and root pruned this tree each winter promoting a mass of finer, easily chopped roots.
CH130005.JPG
Shake/scrape off as much soil as will come away without too much damage to the roots.
I then trim the longer roots roughly to see what’s there.

Take a close look at this pic to see the typical response to root pruning. All those smaller roots are growing from the ends of roots I cut last winter. More than 90% of new roots will grow from the ends of cut roots so I’ve found it best to cut roots quite short where possible.
This trident has a great root flare from the base of the trunk. The Japanese term for root spread from the trunk is ‘Nebari’
CH130006.JPG
And here’s part of the reason for that great root flare.
Originally a trident seedling was threaded through the hole on this piece of sheet aluminium. As the trunk thickened circulation was restricted. The tree responds by growing new roots just above the metal collar. Regular root pruning since then has promoted more and more lateral roots all at the same level. Many of those roots have now fused into the buttress base on this trident.
CH130011.JPG
Now the metal plate has done its work it is time to remove it and finish the root pruning. Check out that flat base!
CH130007.JPG
I finish up by pruning the trunk and branches.
Previous pruning has promoted lots of upright branches. Each of those branches contributes to trunk thickening but, as they are spread out along the trunk, multiple branches also add taper to the trunk. In addition the smaller size of each of these leaves smaller scars that will heal far quicker than if we had one single, larger trunk to chop.
CH130008.JPG
I choose which parts to remove and which to leave to give me the most appealing trunk line with good taper.
CH130009.JPG
CH130012.JPG
Many of the remaining branch stumps will also be removed in future years as they are likely to be too thick and inappropriate angles for good branching on the final bonsai. For now they can stay and help grow more new roots and heal up the larger cuts I’ve made this time.
CH130015.JPG
Finally, I heel the tree back into damp soil until I have time to decide whether to pot up or return this one to the grow beds for further growth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Re: Field grown trident shibui style.

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Great explanation and pictures
--
No idea what I am doing…
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

Thanks for the post.

I got a lot from the pics and explanations

Cheers

Edward
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by jessepap »

Really interesting seeing the process unfold. thanks for sharing.
jofi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ash, Maples, Fig, Aus Natives
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by jofi »

Great article 👏🏻
Grow hard, cut hard, wire hard

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”