Record Keeping Advice and Options

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Record Keeping Advice and Options

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Hi all, I’m after some advice on how various people manage their various plants so they recall what is happening / happened / possibly even planned!

As I keep going on and the number of plants increases (mainly seedlings/ cuttings etc still) I am starting to lose track in what I’ve done.

Eg Whilst I may be pretty good at writing on the pot what it is and when repotted (not really sure about need for latter yet), and even if I haven’t I can still recall what everything is (other than two lots of seeds I planted at the same time Kunzea and Some Leptospernums - figure I will work that out in time), unfortunately I am struggling with some of the things thatI did underground.

Did I do a ground layer on that? Is it on a tile etc.

I am even finding I am making a few premature cuts on things (planning to leave a leader to thicken a trunk and snip it off)

So I am thinking of implementing another system and after advice.

Current thoughts are to give each plant / pot a number and keep a record on my phone (say in One Note) that way.

If it gets repotted. The number follows the new pot.

Seedling trays could follow the same principle until such time as they get potted.

This way I will better be able to keep records of how something has developed too.

Any suggestions?
--
No idea what I am doing…
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Record Keeping Advice and Options

Post by greg27 »

Jooni is an app (https://jooni.app/) that's good for this. You add your trees and then log events for each (fertilising, pruning, etc). It also has reminders for events.

Each tree gets a unique link - I have plans to print out a QR code for each onto vinyl sticker paper and attach it to each pot somehow so I can scan the code and the app will open up to that tree. But right now I don't have time to look after my trees properly let alone stuff around with all that!
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Thanks Greg.

Will check it out.

Definitely trying to keep it simple!
--
No idea what I am doing…
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

I've been thinking about this lately. Recall some posts where people mention log books. The numbering system sounds good. Keen to keep better photo journals, will also check out jooni!

Thanks for the question and the answers!
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

A log book is what I am after.

I think wet / dirty hands may be my problem.

I like OneNote for work as I always have a device on me and it syncs.

Just giving a number (the next in series) is probably the easiest, but you could also do via species.

Eg JM #1.

Database experience says whatever your primary key is, keep it simple.
--
No idea what I am doing…
DianeVictor
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DianeVictor »

I grow orchids and have created a simple spreadsheet with the details I want to record using rows for individual plants and tabs for the different species. I also add hyperlinks which enable me to see photos.
The spreadsheet can be as minimal or expansive as you wish.
I usually take my phone out with me when dealing the the orchids and use the voice recording app to record the plant number and any worthwhile observations/work done to the plant.
These notes can be added to the database at a later time.
For me, this computer work adds another dimension to the hobby, but I appreciate it might be a bit over the top for some.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

There's a bit of overlap with this and my question looking for plant signs. I keep my records in an Excel sheet which I find useful and then I just keep photos separately in a folder. Photos are pretty easy to know what I'm looking at, but the Excel is starting to get a bit out of hand because although there's a numbering system, it's getting to the point with having a number of plants from cuttings and seed, which plant is which.

That's why I'm hoping to get some decent plant signs which also look nice viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30486

Part of it is for display, but part of it is also to be able to match F27 from the spreadsheet with F27 in the pot.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

For younger material it would make good sense i think to have a way to track what you've done, and record intended future decisions. I tried for a time to keep records in an excel sheet with exactly those points; as well as things like if it was in plastic pot or bonsai pot, how much they all owed me in dollar terms for house insurance contents purposes. It was useful but also it ended up a bit of a hassle too as my interests changed in the hobby and i sold off/ gave away trees and forgot to update the spreadsheet.

For more established trees i don't see a huge value in it as repotting reminders tend to be when it's difficult to water it or the health of the tree dips rather than by schedule, and big changes are very infrequent if at all.

I began keeping handwritten notes for my more special trees when i purchased and old JM that came with handwritten notes and photos dating back to 1961 when it was a cutting in a pot. I would only keep those notes for i think 2 or 3 trees at most though now.

If i start some seeds or cuttings i might record the year it germinated/ took root on a plastic label but previous repotting dates aren't particularly useful to me as i'm itchy fingered anyway and don't tend to push plants to the side and forget about them for years on years on years.

Realistically, even when i unwisely germinated several thousand JM seeds, the time frames are enormous, and the work is infrequent enough that i didn't particularly struggle to just remember what I'd done and what i wanted to do with the trees

edit: i just had a look at my spreadsheet and there were trees on it i'd sold pre covid that's how long ago it was i last used it. :lol:
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Thanks all.

All my stock is new material, being new to the sport (so to speak) and it is precisely the smaller less developed stock I am having the most trouble with.

Eg “did I ground layer that cutting? Or did I put that one on a tile? Have I worked the roots?”

Given I am working on a number of very similar trees and doing slightly different things, and because they are years away from whatever the intended outcome, that is why I am after a better system.

But the spreadsheet discussion has given me another idea.

Using Google Forms and a numbering system on the pots I could fill everything in and it populate a spreadsheet, including adding photos. I would then just need to sort by pot #.

It could have some check boxes for the activities and a comment field.
--
No idea what I am doing…
AdamBonz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by AdamBonz »

Hi Lurker here.. I also have yet to find the perfect solution.

But I find Googlesheets spreadsheets to be good for this (I guess excel is good too). I can access Googlesheets on any device/browser. I think there are some "apps" I just dont trust that they will be around in 5+ years and have all that info stuck.

I have gotten really obsessed with tinkering with this spreadsheet! but I started right at the beginning a few years ago, I now have a few hundred seedlings/pre bonsai catalogued. It'd be a pain to start from scratch now.

Im forgetful, so I include things like a photo on purchase and a recent photo I have (great to see progress and help to ID trees), species var, plant number, thickness of trunk base at purchase, cost, date, where I got it, then a general dated list of major things done to it, like pot change or trunk chop. I flag sick plants, plants to be repotted, etc with colours. I also move dead ones to a dead list and note the reason. I have a section for each month where I put what I used for fert and when. I feel you really learn from your trials and tribulations like this.

I create a new tab page for each year to reduce page list size. I was concerned of having several hundreds of photos on a tab but seems to be fine!
Last edited by AdamBonz on October 18th, 2022, 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DianeVictor
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DianeVictor »

Just had a thought, there is a seller on ebay that sells a program that is designed for Bonsai.
If I can find one of the items I'll update this.

EDIT
Check out this link
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/37320648105 ... media=COPY
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Thanks Diane, putting aside the risk of obsolescence in any third party system, I guess part of my question is what is really needed, and what do people do?

What “systems” / information do they employ / record whatever the technology.

Obviously some of this will depend on your nature/ level of interest.

Me I just want to remember “what did I do *in* that put again”, and then find a system that will keep it easy to keep going.
--
No idea what I am doing…
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

I tried a few programs but inevitably got lazy. For me, the best record system is the one that I will actually keep updated: that means simple and quick.

I now use Notes, a free program on iPhones. Google Keep is the Android equivalent, I think. Simple file system, easy to add photos and to be as elaborate or as indolent as I like.
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
CommonCalluna
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by CommonCalluna »

I must be getting old, because I've just been using a journal.

I find bullet journalling to be really useful for keeping track of my projects and associated information. They can be as complicated and pretty, or as simple and messy as you like. Mine usually end up with pages throughout that spectrum.

My journal starts with a 2 page spread of bonsai chores by season, then species guides, (HUGE shoutout to Phil Rabl, Grant Bowie, and gocny for all their work making species guides that have an abundance of information for a beginner like me) then individual plant plans in with tips and info as I learn it.

John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples & Elms
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by John(JP) »

I have an app. called Bonsai Album on my phone - seems to be more than adequate and allows photos with plenty of "notes" and it is a small Database so it connects pot to tree - I'm sure I'll find it has limitations but so far I'd recommend it - it's excellent in that you can have your phone with you at a bench, work on a tree, record the tasks, take a photo and "save" on the spot so avoiding the memory loss between workbench and study - I'm old enough to have lapses.

John(JP)
CBS

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”