Nursery stock with no leaves - how to keep alive?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Nursery stock with no leaves - how to keep alive?

Post by TimIAm »

I recently acquired a plant, nursery stock that was in a bad way. Something had damaged the central column of the root system. There are still a decent number of radial feeder roots. It was also root bound, but just around the outside of the pot.

To clear out the damage with the roots and prepare it for its new life, I basically had to bare root it, remove the damaged main root at the base of the tree, before placing it in good quality mix and a slightly larger pot.

This species is pretty much impossible for me to replace and this was the only one available (not on display) and it was only offered because I inquired. So I really want to keep it alive.

It arrived with only a couple of large leaves which looked average anyway and consequently dropped post re-pot. The structure that is there is still green. No further damage is going to be done to the tree, so I'm hoping this is a turning point. It doesn't appear to be browning off at the tips or dying back.

I need your help in how to keep it alive ...please! :worship:

It typically is a semi-shade to full sun plant. Kinda similar to Ficus carica species.

So, do I keep it in the sun? Semi-shade? In the shade until it recovers?

I assume I just water to match the sun conditions. But should I greenhouse (high moisture) environment; treat it like it's a cutting?

Is there anything I can feed it to help it recover its vigor?

My last and drastic option... it has a base and two long branches, do I turn the two branches in cuttings and try and get them to root and just pray the base or one of the cuttings makes it?
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Nursery stock with no leaves - how to keep alive?

Post by KIRKY »

Ok, so what is it? It’s like a ficus, is it a ficus? If you want info provide more info and/or photo helps.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”